• Register Today It's free!

Biggest tires without lift?

bradh8

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Hey everybody... I'm new here so forgive asking the question again, but I was curious for advice on how big a tire one can put into a stock 94 XLT, on the stock rims with no lift or trimming? Currently running 225/70R15

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had 30" tires no lift and they rubbed very little but that was when I was at full lock with the steers. I believe you can fit 31's underneath but it is all depending on what you want to do with your EX. If you are gonna get into Rocks I would stay at the 30" tires. If you are just doing trail running not much flexing I believe 31's would be fine. Now this is my thoughts. not sure if bigger then 31's will work or not but that is what I am thinking would work with just having 30" tires on my 92.

I had 30" tires no lift and they rubbed very little but that was when I was at full lock with the steers. I believe you can fit 31's underneath but it is all depending on what you want to do with your EX. If you are gonna get into Rocks I would stay at the 30" tires. If you are just doing trail running not much flexing I believe 31's would be fine. Now this is my thoughts. not sure if bigger then 31's will work or not but that is what I am thinking would work with just having 30" tires on my 92.
Thanks! She's a daily driver, with plenty winter/snow driving now and summertime mostly fire-roads, double-track trail driving for camping and such... no major rock climbing or serious swamp/mud...

i was running 31s with no lift and no scrubbing till i swapped out to these wide a$$ boggers

Here's my 2 cents, I have a awd aerostar factory wheels were 215-70-14= 25.6 wheel. Now I'm asumeing your explorer is 4x4 that's small tire do you have a 4 cyl with a stick. Look on the door most explorers have 235-75-15. Saying that I went to the ranger forums , this fourm,and Ford truck fourm. I was told no way your going to put a 29 inch tire on a awd aerostar with out lifting.cutting ect. Well everyone was wrong not only do I had big o big foot truck tires im running there ta/ mud and snow and love the ride. I'm in Vegas and I have no real ruts. It's been a week the backs just clear and the fronts also clear full lock to lock. I will say if I went hard core off road or loaded down were she squat I would need to trim my fender lip in the front. Rims are very important the right back space is needed. I'm running 1996 grand Cherokee rims. And there on the money maybe that's why they fit. I've had a few guys with explores and areostar ask because they had rubbing sometimes. On this fourm type in monster aerostar and you will see all my pics on install and clearance . An areostar is a red headed step child but to own one is to love it. I'm turning it into a westfelia. Fords version of a vw camper.
Good luck every ones car is different.

Here's my 2 cents, I have a awd aerostar factory wheels were 215-70-14= 25.6 wheel. Now I'm asumeing your explorer is 4x4 that's small tire do you have a 4 cyl with a stick. Look on the door most explorers have 235-75-15. Saying that I went to the ranger forums , this fourm,and Ford truck fourm. I was told no way your going to put a 29 inch tire on a awd aerostar with out lifting.cutting ect. Well everyone was wrong not only do I had big o big foot truck tires im running there ta/ mud and snow and love the ride. I'm in Vegas and I have no real ruts. It's been a week the backs just clear and the fronts also clear full lock to lock. I will say if I went hard core off road or loaded down were she squat I would need to trim my fender lip in the front. Rims are very important the right back space is needed. I'm running 1996 grand Cherokee rims. And there on the money maybe that's why they fit. I've had a few guys with explores and areostar ask because they had rubbing sometimes. On this fourm type in monster aerostar and you will see all my pics on install and clearance . An areostar is a red headed step child but to own one is to love it. I'm turning it into a westfelia. Fords version of a vw camper.
Good luck every ones car is different.
Thanks! Aerostar/Westie conversion sounds like an awesome project! With the AWD, you'll have an awesome camping rig!!
Right on!! My Explorer is the 6cyl automatic transmission, 4x4 XLT ... I've seen that they came with a 235/70R15 ...but of course I'd like to go at least 29x9.5 if not a 30" for summer/dirt... the little michelins on the vehicle when I got her are practically new and super grippy in the snow.... so I'm thinking of keeping them on through winter, throwing something bigger and knobbier for dirt and putting the little guys back on next winter ..that kind of thing ... thanks for your 2cents!! I'll check for pics of your Aerostar when I get home from work!! Thanks again

Back