Billet/Plus Shifter, 4cyl vs 6cyl

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
I need to get a new shifter for my X. Looking in the Hurst Catalog, and I see that the Hurst Billet/Plus is (or WAS) available in 2 flavors for the Ranger/Explorer:

391-5020 = 4Cyl w/ 5 spd
391-5021 = 6Cyl w/ 5 spd.

When I type in "530-391-5021" (530 is the Jegs prefix for Hurst) it says the part number has changed to '530-391-5020'.

Are they correct is stating that the shifter is THE SAME for the 4cyl. trucks and the 6cyl. trucks?

Ryan

nobody knows?

Someone mentioned thrangerstation.com has a listing of which transmissions were installed in which vehicles, but I couldn't find that information. Anyone have a link directly to that page to help me?

Ryan

okay.....

So I logon to summitracing.com and they just list the 391-5021 as no longer available. No other info.

So I go BACK to therangerstation.com and look again for the trans info. I found it.

It appears that the shifter is specified for '88-00' Rangers. And that the SAME transmission was used in a 4cyl. Ranger as was used in a 6cyl. Explorer. That trans being the the M5OD-R1.

So it appears to be that Hurst, for some reason came out with 2 shifters, when they only needed one?

Ryan

Is there ANOTHER forum that I could put this in that will actually get a respose?

Ryan

Back