Binding while turning 97 xlt

Squirrels

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Hey all,

Earlier today, just after Hurricane Irene passed, I threw the family in my X to drive around and look at the destruction that was done throughout the town. As I was making a 90 degree turn out of our side street, I accelerated a little hard and it felt like the rear tires tried to spin but didn't. By the time I straightened out the wheel, I had a new found "shudder" while driving. I pulled into a parking lot immediately and slowed to a stop. I got out and checked all tie rods, axles, ball joints, etc., and everything looked good, with exception of the rear leaf spring shackles that are rotted away. So I got back in and started to drive again. While turning in the parking lot at low speed (<10 mph) and turning left, it started to bind, almost stopping the truck. I kept going just so I could get it back home. Driving straight through the parking lot, there was no issue. Turning back onto the road, it started to feel like something was rubbing again, trying to stop the truck. Driving straight was no problem, short of a new very low humming. Turning left ot right, it does this.

Also, I sat in the truck in the driveway, with it running, and switched to 4High. The 4WD light came on. Switched to 4Lo, the light stayed the same, just "4WD"?

I just bought this truck and haven't even gotten it registered yet! Please, someone help me with this. If you need any more information, let me know.

Thank you in advance,
Squirrels

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump

4lo can only be engaged by putting the truck in neutral when stopped, foot on the brake, then clicking to 4lo. The shudder/hard turning is because the transfer case is not disengaging if it was in 2wd/auto, or if it was in 4hi when it was doing it, that is normal, but the truck should not be in 4hi on dry pavement.

Update:

Disconnected battery for 5 minutes.
Reconnected.
Started up and cut wheel all the way to right.
Drove/turned with no binding.
Put in reverse, loud "clunk."
Still driving find.

Neighbor mentioned something about 4WD wind-up???

I had a '92 F-150 which is a far cry from what you have, but to disengage my hubs after switching from 4wd back to 2, I had to drive in reverse about 5-10 yards.

Back