• Register Today It's free!

Blend door noise on 2003

BUmmedic

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 LTD Centennial Ed. V6
I reported on a fast clicking/clattering noise in a previous thread, but that one seems to have gotten lost to time. A replier thought that it sounded like blend door noise, and I also read on another forum about a "whoopee cushion"-like sound. I guess it sounds like this, and I've read a lot on blend door problems with previous generation explorers (late 90's) with manual climate control, but not so much on late model explorers with automatic climate control. My noise only made itself known when the temperature dropped below 45 degrees or so (but on the flip side, I wasn't using my heater until this point, either), and my heat seems to work perfectly these cold mornings. If I leave my auto climate control set at 72+, then I hear the noise as soon as my key hits the ACC setting (before the engine even turns over). If my climate control is off, or is set below 70, I won't hear it until I either turn it on or dial my temp setting up.

Does this still sound like a blend door issue (the front desk man at my local dealership heard it briefly the morning I took it in for my 65K service, and said it sounded like the blend door). I don't notice it after my car has warmed up (i.e., run into the grocery store for a bit and come back out), but I've pretty much heard it every morning. I've read of near $1K repair costs for this little issue, but since no one else has reported it in a late-model explorer with auto climate control, I'm understandably a little doubtful that this is the real cause. Thanks in advance for any and all comments/suggestions/etc.

What's this thing???

Okay, so now that the weather has warmed up, I don't get that fast repetitive clicking when I start the vehicle with the auto climate control on, but I did test my A/C and it's not working, either set to Auto or adjusting manually. I popped the hood and took a few pics of a part of my serpentine assembly that is kicking on and off (audible click when it turns on and starts to rotate)... alternates between on and off every couple of seconds... here are a few pics...

... and a video (engine running)...

Sorry for the crap quality, used my cell phone camera. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I do not hear my compressor kick on, but this thing kicks on and off. I didn't notice it at first, but definitely heard it after a bit. I haven't used my A/C since buying the explorer in Sept. 06 (wasn't warm enough). I'm trying to localize my problem before taking it into the dealer...

Back