BLM Geniuses at work in Utah | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BLM Geniuses at work in Utah

DaveCXLT

Reaction score
Once again, the BLM wants to make permanent a temporary closure on the sand dunes at Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park. These are sand dunes, people, when the wind blows, the tire tracks are gone! OAccording to the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (nazis), they are doing it to 'create safety' for the hikers. So, I guess hikers are okay, 4x4s not okay. I've never seen hikers ruin a park, have you? Closing the 21,000 acres permanently would leave a whole 3,000 acres still open to off-roaders.
This seems odd to me, since the BLM has already concluded that vehicle use in the 3,000 acre sand dune area does not have any lasting effect. So the ban on the federal lands surrounding the dunes is the one being pushed. And, they're trying to also close a strip of land that provides access to the dunes, in essence closing them off, because if you can't get there, you can't 4wheel there.
I haven't figured out why this land is so important. I think people hear about 4x4s on wilderness land and freak out without knowing any facts. Anyway, here's the BLM site http://www.blm.gov/utah/utah/coralpink.html
if you want to read about it. Written comments can be sent to the BLM Utah State Office, PO Box 45155, Salt Lake City, UT 84145 by Sept. 17th.

Back