Block Heater install for 2013 Explorer 6cyl 3.5l | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Block Heater install for 2013 Explorer 6cyl 3.5l

Ted22

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 explorer 4x4 6cyl
Hey all... got the "It appears that you have not posted in our forums lately. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution, or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?" guilt banner.

Thought I'd do a quick note on how to install a block heater. We just moved to Michigan, and I could not find any decent write ups on how to do it. It is very easy and only took 20 minutes, so probably why not much on the internet.

1- I bought a heater from Amazon, and magically it appeared on my front door step in 3 days: "Zerostart 310-0002 Engine Block Heater"
2- Get your tools together:
-9/16 allen wrench to remove the stock plug
-15/16 short socket, or short wrench to tighten new heater in(it's kinda tight, but not bad)
-A few zip ties to secure the wire out of the way.... it is near the belt, so definitely want to keep things secure.
3- Find the plug.... it is right above the axle shaft of the passenger wheel... Not bad at all. I'll try to snap a picture tomorrow... getting late here.
4- Take the old plug out, and get the new one in ASAP... it comes with sealant already on it, and I lost less than 1/2 a cup of antifreeze. Use both hands, and as soon as you get the plug out, you can put the new heater in. I think someone on here called it the Indiana Jones... worked well.

Hopefully this will help if any of you want to do the same.... please let me know if I need to put more detail in...

STAY WARM, WINTER IS ON THE WAY!!!!!! :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Ted22, good afternoon..I Just read your message regarding the block heater installation. I just want to ask if possible you can send me a picture of the plug location please? Cause when I check into my SUV I see a plug but it looks like it needs a different tools like big Allen and you mentioned it needs a wrench, maybe I'm looking into the wrong plug.. Thank you very much.

Hi Ted22, good afternoon..I Just read your message regarding the block heater installation. I just want to ask if possible you can send me a picture of the plug location please? Cause when I check into my SUV I see a plug but it looks like it needs a different tools like big Allen and you mentioned it needs a wrench, maybe I'm looking into the wrong plug.. Thank you very much.

One of the tools he mentioned was a 9/16 Allen to remove the old plug.

Hi Mlarv5, Sorry its my fault.. Yes I read his message again and I see he mentioned the Allen tools to remove the old plug but, now when I check the Allen plug, I see that plug is smaller than the block heater that I have here, is it possible you send me a picture please? I see anoth bolt on the right side that needs a wrench but don't know the size of this not sure if it's the right location to put the heater.. ], there is 1 plug that is Allen in the middle of 2 rusty small bolts but that's small and there is 1on the right side a bit higher that is not Allen... Is the higher bolt on the right side also a plug for heater ?? Please help me with this thing.. Thank you very much in advance.
DSC_0053.JPG

Hey all... got the "It appears that you have not posted in our forums lately. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution, or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?" guilt banner.

Thought I'd do a quick note on how to install a block heater. We just moved to Michigan, and I could not find any decent write ups on how to do it. It is very easy and only took 20 minutes, so probably why not much on the internet.

1- I bought a heater from Amazon, and magically it appeared on my front door step in 3 days: "Zerostart 310-0002 Engine Block Heater"
-15/16 short socket, or short wrench to tighten new heater in(it's kinda tight, but not bad)
-A few zip ties to secure the wire out of the way.... it is near the belt, so definitely want to keep things secure.
3- Find the plug.... it is right above the axle shaft of the passenger wheel... Not bad at all. I'll try to snap a picture tomorrow... getting late here.
4- Take the old plug out, and get the new one in ASAP... it comes with sealant already on it, and I lost less than 1/2 a cup of antifreeze. Use both hands, and as soon as you get the plug out, you can put the new heater in. I think someone on here called it the Indiana Jones... worked well.

Hopefully this will help if any of you want to do the same.... please let me know if I need to put more detail in...

HI Ted22, may I request if you Can send me a picture of this old plug please, my email address is ferdinand_quing@yahoo.com.. I have a picture here but looks like it's not right, I include a picture in this message,.. Thank you

DSC_0053.JPG

I have not installed one so I am no help for that part.

The post you are refering is from 2015. He might not be on here any more.

Its ok, thanks for replying.. I will message Ted again maybe he can send me a picture.. Have a good afternoon.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Ted hasn't been seen here since July 9, 2016.
Are you looking to install a block heater? If so, you should already have one since Explorers for the Canadian market come with them already installed. Mine have all had them.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Ted hasn't been seen here since July 9, 2016.
Are you looking to install a block heater? If so, you should already have one since Explorers for the Canadian market come with them already installed. Mine have all had them.

Peter
Hi Peter, good evening.. Is it possible that you can send me a picture where is this block heater location please? Mine is 2013 and Ted said he put 1 in his SUV and looks. Like it's also 2013 model... I check everything but I haven't seen any wire for the block heater..and thanks for letting me know Ted last post is 2016

Here is a picture of it in my previous 2011 Limited. Also, check my post #12 in that thread. Hope it helps.
Block Heater question?...

Peter

Here is a picture of it in my previous 2011 Limited. Also, check my post #12 in that thread. Hope it helps.
Block Heater question?...

Peter
Hello Peter, thank you very much for your help with the picture, I thought that is a radiador fan wiring, I didn't see the plug because its under the big rubber hose.. Have a good night..

Back