• Register Today It's free!

Block Heater or Oil Heater

Brock94

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I may have to deal with some extreme cold this Winter and I'm thinking about adding an electric heater to the engine. I've seen a few different types:

1) Block heater-- seems to put the heat into the engine block right where you'd want it.

2) in-line hose heater-- not sure exactly what it's called, but it's the kind that you cut the lower radiator hose and splice the thing in.

3) Dipstick oil heater-- I've heard they can burn the oil, so I think I'll avoid them.

4) Oil heater pad-- pad attaches to oil pan and keeps the oil warm, but has enough surface area that it won't burn the oil.

Do you guys have any thoughts/experience with these? What do you think is best (assuming ease of installation is not an issue)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always had heaters on cars in Montana... my preference was the tank type in line heater... instant heat when you started the car <g>.

the hose style heaters that go into your lower raditor hose are not that great IMO. The hose is constantly going to have heat on it then and and wear out faster. Block heaters are o.k. but your heating the block, really the thing you want to keep warm is the oil. when you crank on your engine that crackshaft must turn through that thick oil at the bottom of the pan, can be tough. I use a magnet heater. I use this on both of my explorers and on my 81 diesel mercedes(does not have a block heater, cal. model). I simply stick it to the bottom of the oil pan on very cold nights. the only drawback to it is you have to pull it of and put on each time you want to use it, but no ugly cord attached all the time. This is what i have found best, i live in central minnesota and have tried about every heat stlye thing out there, and i've been happiest with the magnet heater

Good point, although if the pan is aluminum that would present a problem <g>. I like the concept though....I knew a guy in Alaska who claimed that he heated his battery, the oil pan and also ran a tank heater, and put a pad on the engine at night... probably a great idea if you were looking at -40F, overkill otherwise.

I had a factory block heater on my other Explorer, and it was great. Heat in 2 minutes. I plan on installing one in my new truck.

All my vehicles have block heaters, they heat the whole engine bay if plugged in long enough. I am sure it raises the oil temp up a little too. Even on the coldest of days I have instant heat.

Up here we put up with -40 degree winters. All you need is a regular block heater and a good battery. Make sure the battery is new, lots of cold cranking amps and put on a battery blanket (warmer).

Back