Blower motor only works on high

explorerkatz

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT "X"
'97 OHV "X" Explorer. - Manual temperature control

The blower only works on high fan setting. I looked at my local parts store website & they list the "Blower Motor Resistor" as part of the fan speed switch?

No resistor elsewhere? It is an integral part of the switch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been searching for it;

So it is in the engine compartment, near the bottom of the blower motor housing?

Looks like I have to remove the washer fluid bottle, etc, it get to it so I can remove it...

faulty fan switch

I also had a faulty fan switch -- worked only on third and fourth speeds. Mine is an '06 Explorer. I looked at the wiring diagram in my Haynes book and found that it uses an resistor (separate form the actual switch). In my '06 it is located behind the glove box mounted into a part of the hvac system. I think it is called an evaporator -- but I could be wrong. I replaced the resistor -- about $25. Works fine now. Dealer item.
Hope this helps.
Steve

Just wanted to reply; thanks for all the info. Pulled the old resistor out & it was a corroded mass of rust, especially the connectors. Replaced & all works like new! Easy repair, all is well.

Thanks again!

FYI, the connector/pig-tail is available separately right from Ford. It's not sealed against the elements (why? No clue...)

-Joe

Back