• Register Today It's free!

Blowing 30 amp fuel pump fuse

Brayden carisse

Reaction score
City, State
Temiskaming shores, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 sport trac limited
I there, so this started with me heading out of town when I went to start my truck and didn't wanna start just crank (mind you worked nice the night b4) then I started seeing hard smoke coming from the rear passenger,

So I take the keys out and run to the back I ended up dropping the rear spare tire to fine above the member the fuel pump driver module was on fire..

So long story short I ordered a Dorman module and new pigtail I wierd everything up properly and even put the grounds in a better cleaner area and cleaned them.. even after all of that still cranks but no start.. so I look at the fuse to the fuel pump and its blow obviously because of the module catching fire but I changed 3 now and it's every time I turn the key to the on position blows the fuse so I'm really confused at this point maybe my fuel pump got fried in the equation not quite sure...

but really any help would be much appreciated I just got it back from the shop not long ago for exaust work and it was pricey I'd love to be able to not have to send it back there I don't really got the cash..

Welcome to the forum. I would unplug the fuel pump & see if it still blows the fuse. If it does start tracing the wires from the FPDM & see if there are bare wires or melted wires grounding out.

OKay so I fixed the issue with the fuse blowing, just re-wired everything with the box off instead of laying underneath.., so now my problem is my fuel pump wasn't powering over that I could hear.. I even checked by un pluging the fuel filter line and was dry after every crank..

added new fuel pump just because maybe it got shot during the module catching on fire but now not sure because it's still doing the same thing nit getting power to send fuel..

I looked at the whole harness starting from the fuel pump connector all the way to the back where the pump module is and everything seems good except there's a ground wire I had to re wire on the module end of the harness.. but then when I opened the harness from the fuel pump connector I found that ground wire with a positive and negative im assuming? Its a plain bare open wire that was wrapped in silver lining insulation tape that ended up corrodeing that plain bare ground wire, ... and I forgot to mention that bare wire i found just loose no end on it not connected to the actual fuel pump connector its wierd, it just leads there from the back frame where the module is... thanks for helping !

Welcome to the forum. I would unplug the fuel pump & see if it still blows the fuse. If it does start tracing the wires from the FPDM & see if there are bare wires or melted wires grounding out

Back