Blown auto hub AND malfunctioning shift motor...? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blown auto hub AND malfunctioning shift motor...?

TheNefariousOne

Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hey all,

I'm trying to diagnose why my 4x4 isn't working, and I wanted your input as to what I believe is wrong. I followed the troubleshooting guide in the forum and have verified that the button and module are working correctly. (I can hear the relay and the test light flashes 4 times when the harnesses are unplugged). So the next thing was the auto hubs - I jacked the driver side up, and noticed that I could spin the wheel freely and that the axle shaft moved along with it. This leads me to believe that the auto hub on the driver side is working, but the t-case is not engaging. I then jacked up the passenger side, and the wheel still spun freely, but the axle did not turn.

So, I'm thinking I have a blown passenger side hub as well as a malfunctioning shift motor. Does that sound correct given those facts?

Thanks for any help.

Probably...Dump the auto hubs, they are useless and new ones are expensive and useless...Put on mile marker or warn manual hubs. T-case motor is probably an easy fix..Lot's written here and new ones are not expensive...Better yet convert to a full manual system...manual hubs and something like the Shiftster to replace the t-case motor...For some of us, where we live is no big deal crawling under the truck to shift the t-case...A lot of snow and mud may not be too much fun. I have had chevys and fords with auto hubs all of them crapped out...Too many things along the chain of operation that can go wrong..switch to a manual system.

Turn the axle shaft and see if the hub engages. The hub works on torque coming from the axleshaft to lock up. Turning the wheel will not lock the hub. I don't know how hard/fast you will need to turn the shafts for them to engage. Try it on both sides.

But, I agree get some manuals over the auto units. You may find some at the local boneyard. Grab the spindle nuts and all. There were two sets in the yard near me. I didn't grab em though.:(

All that stuff is fixable on auto hubs, t-case motor etc, It's all written here on these forums. I know, I read it all when my autos died..But it in my opinion it is not worth it. Too weak and I have no confidence in the auto hub system. Been burned too many times by different brands.

Back