Body Mount Replacement

wilkrod

Reaction score
City, State
Ocala, fla
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sportrac
Hi all,
Started the dreaded body mount replacement project this weekend.
Got the new Daystar mounts, nice kit, well marked.
Got the interior removed, started with the front drivers side mount, removed easily with impact wrench.
Got to the next one under the drivers feet, got the bolt removed with impact gun, jack under the mount.
However I find the the emergency brake cable prevents me from removing the mount itself.
Ran out of time so didn't try much.
Any suggestions, do I just try and pull the cable out of the way?
Thanks much
Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced mine using the Prothane kit, on my 2001 my brake cable wasn't an issue can you post a pic of what you are describing?

Update

I was able to simply unhook the cable after pinning the foot control for the parking brake. That allowed me to move the cable out of the way for the mounts to be removed.
Now if I can just get that last mount in the rear to unbolt I may be able to jack the body up and replace the mounts.
This is getting tedious.
Regards
Jeff

Yeah that was the biggest pita I have done so far. Took me 10 hours from start to finish, my bushings were totally gone.

Done!!

Finished changing out the rotted body mounts this weekend. Just wanted to let everyone know that at least in my case the heating of the bolt from underneath made the job so much easier.

after strugling with the drivers side, using the jack under the bottom of the mount to keep it from spinning while using an impact wrench on the bolt head was very frustrating.

So I took the advice I saw on another post and used a propane torch with a pencil tip, and applied the flame to the exposed bolt visible at the bottom of the mount, 60 seconds of heat, hit it with the impact wrench, and they spin right out, no jack, pliers, etc required.

Also on my 2002 sportrac, it was much easier to remove the parking brake cable, and also the running boards. Just easier access.

Just thought I would share what worked for me.

And it does make a huge difference in ride quality, and lack of terrible noise.
Regards
Jeff

Congrats on getting the job done, yes they ride a lot better with the bushing in. Mine feels a lot tighter and doesn't lean as much when turning.

Fellows: Could you give me the part numbers of both kits? This is a project I need to do on the wife's car and Im not looking forward to accomplishing it.

Thanks

Back