• Register Today It's free!

Motor Mount Replacement

beauboy

Reaction score
City, State
Summerville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
All - Haven't see a procedures thread on this, so maybe you all can help.

I'm attempting to replace my motor mounts on my '91 Explorer. I can get to the driver's side one well enough, but how do I get to the bottom bolt on the passenger side mount?

I can see that I have to remove the inner wheel guard to gain access to the block bolt, but I still can't see how to access the frame mount.

Oh yeah, I've got the Haynes manual, but all it says is to remove the bolts. Doesn't say how to access them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365930

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289716

You'll usually have to get creative with socket extensions, a wrench, or just however you can get to the fasteners with whatever tools you have. You'll of course need a jack or engine hoist to raise the motor up to completely remove them and place in new ones.

The engine mounts aren't made to be removed with the engine still in the vehicle - only the block-to-mount bolts are made to be removed, then the engine pulled, and the mounts removed with the engine out, hence why it's difficult to get to the lower bolts with the engine in place.

Generally this is something that's not worth doing unless the mounts are broken or otherwise must be replaced.

Thanks, Anime, for the realistic view. I'm looking at giving up the truck to a coworker of my wife who is in a bad fix. No matter. I've already purchased an '07 Limited. Just wanted to see if I could replace these and give her a better vehicle. She'll get the new motor mounts in the event she knows someone who can do the fix for her later.

Again, thanks for all.

Beauboy, how did you know the truck needed new mounts? I just did mine - contrary to what my regular mechanic advised - and noticed that some (but not all) of the powertrain slop went away. I can also feel more of the engine vibration with the new mounts.

Back