Both headlights on when switched to brights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Both headlights on when switched to brights

ExpoXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Falkville, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
I have a 1998 Explorer and I'm wanting both high beams and low beams on when I switch to bright lights, does anyone know how to do this? I would also like to be able to turn on just the fog lights without the headlights being on. I have plans to change out the "fog" lights for some aftermarket lights and would like to use them as daytime running lights.
Thanks in advance for your help,
Gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am 99% sure they both operate at different wattages.

If you want to use the fog lights without head lights, wire them to the parking lights or wire in a toggle switch.

If you want them BOTH to operate, your going to have to wire in some relays or again wire another toggle switch to give them power when they shut off.

In all honesty, it's not worth it to hack up factory wiring, IMO.

If you managed to light both filaments in the bulb at the same time, they would burn out in a hurry, plus, get really damn hot. Bad idea.

kevinspann, I kind of figured they would get hot. I just need more light when drivine out in the country where I live.
Gabe96Explorer, yeah I didn't want to hack up my wiring harness.

When driving on back roads here I pull the stalk back which lights both beams. Warning: if you do this too much you can melt the factory wire harness. I melted one of them on my last Explorer, but I did have unusually high wattage bulbs. I do this regularly with the Mounty, and haven't had a problem. They do sell a control box that allows both beams to run, and I believe is a plug in.

yea not only can you melt the harness, and fry the bulbs, but its also highly illegal and i would recommend more lights too, just get a set of high lights or something for back roads.

The law states low beams count as 2 lights, fog lights count as 2 lights, high beams count as 4 lights. According to the law you can only run 4 lights at once, thats why your fogs shut off with the high beams.

So keep that in mind if you get pulled over by a d-bag cop. Make sure it all is on switches so your not stuck with fog lights that stay on all the time with your lights or some crap like that

You should always turn your brights off when theres another car, so how would the police now, unless inspecting your explorer?
The flash to pass works, but it makes corners REALLY hard when driving aggresivly on back roads.

The law states low beams count as 2 lights, fog lights count as 2 lights, high beams count as 4 lights. According to the law you can only run 4 lights at once, thats why your fogs shut off with the high beams.

My friends aunt bought a new Fusion recently (09 I believe) and when we flicked the high beams on, the fogs stayed on.

As long as the little switch was pulled back to turn the fogs on (And the parking lights at least) were on, then the fogs were on no matter what.

Are you sure thats a real law? (Im not calling you a liar by any means, ive heard another member talk about it, im just curious as to why the fogs would stay on if the high beams are considered 4 beams...)

Hitting the flash to pass is not the same as turning on the high beams, as it does not extinguish the low beams. Flash to pass (MFS pulled back) is brighter as both light sets are on (technically, all 3). When the stalk is pushed forward, it disengages low beam or low beam filament, turning off the driving lights with them.

For headlights... Cops here locally in MI say that the HMVSS 108 federal law is what they can enforce. Do they? It's subjective. A lot of it depends on what else you were pulled over for, and the attitude of the person being pulled over.

I pulled a few examples since they're easy to find:

Oregon's code reads:

http://www.odot.state.or.us/comm/news/2002021201.htm

Fog Lights: A vehicle may be equipped with two fog lights. The lights may be white or amber. The beam must strike the road not more than 75 feet ahead of the vehicle on which it is mounted. These lights are illegal to have in operation at times when you are required to dim your headlights.

Oregon adopted the federal automotive lighting standards (Division 108 Lighting), therefore all bulbs, replacement or not, have to meet the federal standard.

Idaho's code reads:

(2) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two (2) fog
lamps mounted on the front, at a height not less than twelve (12) inches nor
more than thirty (30) inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle
stands, and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the
high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle
shall at a distance of twenty-five (25) feet ahead project higher than a level
of four (4) inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it
comes. Lighted fog lamps meeting these requirements may be used with lower
head lamp beams as specified in section 49-922(2), Idaho Code.

Some info for this and other similar questions since I'm bored at work...

(This is for Michigan)

Question: Is having smoked tail light/brake covers legal in Michigan? How about the smoked ones with slashes or vents in them showing a small part of the original red lens?

Answer: MCL 257.686 requires a tail lamp to emit a red light plainly visible for at least 500 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
MCL 257.697 requires stop lamps to emit a red or amber light and be capable of being seen and distinguished from other lamps for a distance of 100 feet, including during normal daylight.
If the cover you apply prohibits the lamp from meeting these requirements then it is unlawful.

Also:

HIDs that come as OEM typically meet headlight standards under FMVSS 108. Aftermarket HIDs of 6505KK+ i.e. the more blue they are is worse...) don't meet the standards and are therefore illegal.

wow thanks everyone for all the info, I guess I'm going to have to re-think this.

Back