bought 01 sport trac, has lots of codes thrown... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bought 01 sport trac, has lots of codes thrown...

MetalMan390

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 sport trac
just bought an 01 sport trac and it has a misfire, chugs at idle, and has spark knock (detonation). i scanned it with my code scanner and got these codes:

p0455
p0401
p0457
p1151
p0171
p0174
and codes p0301-306

i cleared the codes and then drove it a few miles and got the following codes(all these codes where "pending"):

p0171
p0174
p0300-305

i noticed that the air hose going from the valve cover to the air intake hose (after the MAF) seemed like it wasn't very tight and could be leaking, so i made it airtight with some electrical tape. cleared the codes, drove it, same problems, but now i don't have any codes coming back.

i just check the MAF and it looks super clean, i didn't want to spray any cleaners on it since it doesn't appear to be dirty at all.

any ideas?

Chugs at idle could be a malfunctioning Idle Air Control(IAC) valve.

Have you pulled the spark plugs and looked at them?

Chugs at idle could be a malfunctioning Idle Air Control(IAC) valve.

Have you pulled the spark plugs and looked at them?

it has spark knock which means it's running too lean, it's going to be a fuel or an air issue. i am thinking bad intake manifold gaskets, since it's a commin issue with these motors.

try checking your MAF as well. try cleaning it or if you have a friend that have an explorer or ranger with 4.0..try swapping the MAF to test it.My truck was running lean/rich, rough idle, and losing power off and on...and had a strong odor of fuel, since it was not burning it off.

We replaced the IAC, plugs, and wires (which is due anyway) and still it was idling rough, then we tried swapping the MAF from my friend's Ranger just to test it, lo' and behold it ran perfectly.

and I agree with John_Rock, check your plugs and wires...sometimes it's a process of elimination. mine was throwing p2196/p2198.

Back