Bought a bad explorer... need advice. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bought a bad explorer... need advice.

ASDurabrand

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
What's up guys my names Anthony. I bought a 2000 explorer xls 3 months ago. This is my first car and I was in a rush. You can see where this is going. Long story short here's a list of concerns:

2000 Explorer XLS 4dr 4.0l V6 OHV 2wdr

Engine making more than one noise. Wining at all rpm. Knocking getting heavier. Also a bad sound when engine shuts off. Sounds like a chain rubbing against something. Had it checked out and was referred to Ford for diagnosis. Check engine light is not on.

Front End noises usually during sharp turns and bumps. Just replaced front shocks which caused control arms to tear through the gaurds inside the wheel well. Truck seems to sway a lot over uneven surfaces.

Is there an easy way to fix the outside door handle? Handle is loose and takes work to unlock the driver side door.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow sounds like this Explorer is going to need a lot of work. If you had not done so, I would do a oil change with synthetic, and maybe a seafoam treatment for starters. As for the handles, you would have to remove the door panel from the inside. That's how I replaced my door handles on my 04.

What's up guys my names Anthony. I bought a 2000 explorer xls 3 months ago. This is my first car and I was in a rush. You can see where this is going. Long story short here's a list of concerns:

2000 Explorer XLS 4dr 4.0l V6 OHV 2wdr

Engine making more than one noise. Wining at all rpm. Knocking getting heavier. Also a bad sound when engine shuts off. Sounds like a chain rubbing against something. Had it checked out and was referred to Ford for diagnosis. Check engine light is not on.

Front End noises usually during sharp turns and bumps. Just replaced front shocks which caused control arms to tear through the gaurds inside the wheel well. Truck seems to sway a lot over uneven surfaces.

Is there an easy way to fix the outside door handle? Handle is loose and takes work to unlock the driver side door.
The whining could, and most likely, be the alternator or power steering pump, not the engine itself. You say the "knocking" getting heavier. When does it knock? If it knocks at idle, that usually a sign of main bearings. If it knocks when you let off the throttle, as if when topping a grade, that is sign of rod bearings. Actually more of a rattle sound. Have someone with some experience listen to it so you will have a better idea of what the noise actually is. The last thing I would do is put any type of cleaner in the engine. If the bearings are worn, cleaner will just make things worse. Change the oil, using a good quality 10w30 oil. I know it probably calls for 5w30, but if the bearings are worn enough to cause noise, the last thing you need is thin oil at startup.

Heres a couple tips. But definetly be careful while doing this.

One thing about that whine, if it sounds like a mad cat "meowing" thats definetly a trademark Ford power steering pump sound. If you add fluid to it, itll go away.

Also, to figure out where the sounds are coming from, you can buy an automotive stethiscope usually for pretty cheap, or use a nice long screwdriver. Probe the tip of the screwdriver on like the alternator casing to see if its that, and as such with the power steering pump. It could even just be a tensioner.

The front end, crawl underneath it and just look around, if anything is recently broken, it will be shiny as opposed to rusty. Check your sway bar endlinks, they may be broken causing the sway, and if its broken a certain way where metal is rubbing on the lower control arm, that can cause noises around turns.

For the engine knocking, some thick oil would definetly help. I might even go up to 10w40. Or you can stay with the 10w30. Either way, i would recomend using Lucas Oil Stabalizer. I swear by that stuff, and use it every oil change from here on out. I hope some of my info helps you out.

Sorry I was a bit drunk when I posted this lol but ya.

The Whining: mechanics checked it out. They took off the belts and everything. Said the noises are coming from inside the motor. I didn't get a clear explanation on what the whining was. As for the signature ford power steering, its getting louder and its starting to vibrate when turning while stopped. Already done an oil change and oil filter and air filter, two front shocks one front tire and both rear tires.

All of the suspension work is coming out of pocket. I do have an aftermarket powertrain warranty with the truck. Gonna take it over to Ford in the next few days to diagnose the motor. Howerver my warranty doesn't cover any wear n tear items and I'm not sure how much of the issues are considered wear n tear other than the power steering.

Thanks for the help guys really. I've been stressed out ever since I bought this thing lol. Another note on the knocking:

Heavy knocking at idle, it goes away when accelerating. Knocking when accelerating uphill: sounds like somethings coming loose maybe? And the rattling when the engine turns off sounds like a chain rubbing agains the side of something so timing set maybe?

From what you are saying now, it sounds like main bearings. I would say it is time for a complete overhaul, judging from what you say.

I'll defer to the others on the engine noises. But I will chime in on the door handle because I had to fix mine over the weekend. There are 2 return springs on the handle and they are broken - happens to them all.

Easiest fix is to go on ebay or even Pep Boys and get a replacement handle. They range from 10-20 bucks. The only downside is they come in black so you either have to live with it or paint it...or if you have some time to kill - break the new handle to get at the springs and grind off the rivets holding your factory one and put the new springs on and fab up new hinges.

ok, so I had it looked at by ford. The rattling sound at shut off and wining while engine on is coming from the transmission. Bad pump and converter. Haven't gotten any word on the other knocks that I'm hearing but I guess it not that big of a deal if the techs didn't mention anything. Waiting to hear back from ford tomorrow to see if my warranty is gonna cover the repair. Its been over a week already since I took it to ford, just looking foward to having my truck back.... maybe lol.

Back