Brake hose suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake hose suggestions

Rhaegal94

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello!

Forum newb. Just got a ’94 Explorer in July. Looking for advice on replacing my brake hoses.

1) Is there a brand or type I should aim for? I have been using Motorcraft replacement parts when available. I’m slowly building it up for light off roading and zombie apocalypse survival.

2) If I want to level the front (1" - 2”) with the back, will I need longer brake hoses than the stock length? I was told in passing that if I’m staying under a 2” lift that I wouldn’t need to worry about longer brake lines/hoses.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2) If I want to level the front (1" - 2”) with the back, will I need longer brake hoses than the stock length? I was told in passing that if I’m staying under a 2” lift that I wouldn’t need to worry about longer brake lines/hoses.

You don't need extended lines for 1-2" of lift.

If you're going to replace them anyway, just about anything is fine as long as the rubber has DOT on it. They're all going to be made in China unfortunately. I splurged on Raybestos Premium and they look identical to the cheapest I purchased on RockAuto.

I can give you a good piece of advice though; either buy a spare set of copper crush washers that are thick or re-use your old ones. I installed the cheap hoses on my 1994 recently and the washers that came with it were so thin that when they squished, it wasn't enough meat to seal and both front sides leaked even when I cranked on the banjo bolts. I ended up re-using the factory original ones that were about 2x the thickness. Not ideal but I lost a lot of fluid doing that and just wanted to be done.

if you have a hose house ie hose products or local hose shop they can make dot approved stainless braided and covered in vinyl.
roscoe

Back