Brake line question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake line question

No skid plate. I might still have the one I took off my '89 Bronco II to repair the gas tank, but that was over 12 years ago.

I'm looking forward to the cataract surgery. I've gotten new lenses in Feb or March the last several years, and by August the vision in my right eye was pretty poor again. When I got my eye exam last year, the vision in my right eye was 4 1/2 steps worse than the year before, and it's probably deteriorated that much this last year too. Fortunately, my left eye has been improving every year. 4 1/2 steps worse in 1 eye and 1 1/2 better in the other really messes with your depth perception. My brain mostly ignores the signal in my right eye. It took several days after I got new lenses last spring for my brain to re-wire itself to recognize the signal from both eyes equally. I had the exam for the surgery the day after this brake line let go - the day it snowed 5". My brother and wife both said (before the snow moved in) I'd be ok driving myself home after getting my eyes dilated, and they might have been right on a normal cloudy day. With 5" of fresh, unplowed, snow, I had zero depth perception anyway, and with my eyes dilated it was worse that that! I went to a nearby mall until my vision improved somewhat, which also gave the snowplows time to work. I didn't want my wife driving in those conditions anyway, but I won't do that again!

The first time I saw a cataract facility I really wasn't comfortable with the entire process and couldn't get a clear answer out of them about my total out-of-pocket costs. I felt rushed and the whole experienced had an assembly-line feel to it. I later canceled that procedure and waited 2 years. By then my vision had gotten so bad I really should not have been driving and I did so as little as possible. By chance I was watching a local daily TV show where they had someone from a large eye center as a guest and he made me feel much more comfortable about the procedure. When I went in for the exam they explained everything very well and gave me my exact out-of-pocket total costs, which was very reasonable, plus they offered interest free financing if needed. Turned out the first eye center was up-selling me much more expensive lenses than I needed and unnecessary robotic laser procedures, which would have made my costs much higher. I had my left eve (my worst eye) done first. After the surgery I experienced slight discomfort the first day, but that went away by the second day and I could tell my vision improving with each passing hour. I had my right eye done a few weeks later and now have near 20/20 vision. The worst part was following the schedule for putting in the multiple prescribed eye drops, which required a precise schedule. I'd worn glasses since middle school and now I just wear inexpensive reading glasses when I have to read small print. I really could not be more pleases with the results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The facility I'm having my surgery at is top notch, been around for 100 years (really, 100 years), and developed many techniques that are industry standards now. My wife had hers done there a number of years ago and swears by them. I can't imagine needing cataract surgery in both eyes at the same time, which most everyone seems to assume I do. If my vision in both eyes was as bad as my right eye is now, I couldn't function. My wife works with someone who's having both eyes done over spring break, one on Monday and one on Thursday. I'm surprised they'll do them that close together.

Both you need to pray and thank god your eyes can even be fixed :)

Good luck enjoy your new eyesight

AMEN to that!

The facility I'm having my surgery at is top notch, been around for 100 years (really, 100 years), and developed many techniques that are industry standards now. My wife had hers done there a number of years ago and swears by them. I can't imagine needing cataract surgery in both eyes at the same time, which most everyone seems to assume I do. If my vision in both eyes was as bad as my right eye is now, I couldn't function. My wife works with someone who's having both eyes done over spring break, one on Monday and one on Thursday. I'm surprised they'll do them that close together.

IIRC mine were done about 1 month apart. I wouldn't suggest anyone have both eyes done in the same week. It is surgery after-all and it's always possible that something might not go perfectly. I was told my risks, but as my left eye was pretty useless as it was I had it done first.

Had cataract surgery 10 days ago, and the outcome is better than I expected. I was skeptical about how much this would improve my vision, but wow! At distances over about 5 feet, I can see as well, and at some distances better, with that eye without glasses as the other eye with glasses. I did not expect that in my wildest dreams. Reading is a little tricky without bifocals though. I have the follow-up exam this coming Friday, so it'll be a couple more weeks before I get new glasses.

I installed the new front calipers yesterday. Finally, a job that went as it should! I only replaced the calipers and not the frame that surrounds them. One of the slide pins was pretty much stuck, which probably had something to do with the pedal feel. Other than that, everything came apart and went back together smoothly. Working in 50 degrees and sunshine sure beats 0 and dark like it was when I started this thread! I should probably bleed all 4 corners again, but pedal feel and braking are much better than they have been, maybe since I bought the truck 6 years ago. Wow, doesn't seem like I've had it that long, but it'll be 6 years in a couple of weeks. I plan to replace the rotors and pads this summer with the same Wagner rotors and Motorcraft pads combo I put on the '02 ST in November. Should stop very well then. I know replacing them when I did the calipers would have been best, but having the cataract surgery this early in the year means I had to cover the deductible all at once, which was a big hit to the finances.

Back