• Register Today It's free!

Brake pedal is very low

jagarundi

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT AWD
I had my brakes changed in January. The rotors were all cut and resurfaced. At the time, I think I had 60k on the truck. I now have 73k on it and my brake pedals are VERY low to the floor. I'm stopping okay but I don't like how low the pedals are. I looked at the brake fluid and it's fine. When I go to pump the brakes up, they don't come up. The pads are not worn down or anything. I want to take it in to Midas in the morning, but I want to have a general idea of what could be wrong. I'm thinking master cylinder. Yes? No?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So it sits low, but the brakes are fine? It could be your brake booster. Turn the car off, and pump the brake pedal. It should become harder and harder to press it down, then, when the car is started, it should operate normally.

Maybe there is a lot of air in the lines, but that usually just gives you a squishy brake pedal, not a low one.

Majisto said:
So it sits low, but the brakes are fine? It could be your brake booster. Turn the car off, and pump the brake pedal. It should become harder and harder to press it down, then, when the car is started, it should operate normally.

Maybe there is a lot of air in the lines, but that usually just gives you a squishy brake pedal, not a low one.

I'll try that and report back here to let you know what happened. Thanks.

Check all your brake lines, you could have a leak in one allowing air into the system and not building enough pedal pressure. Booster is also a good suggestion.

BradE. said:
Check all your brake lines, you could have a leak in one allowing air into the system and not building enough pedal pressure. Booster is also a good suggestion.

I went out on Friday afternoon and pumped the brakes while the car was off. The brakes got harder and harder to press down after about 5 pumps. When I turned the car back on, the brakes went back to being low again. I don't know enough about the brake lines on this truck to check for air being in them. I'll just bring it to the mechanics and let them check for leaks.

Is your brake pedal a lil soft? You might also want to bleed the system.. I suspect the brakes were broken in when you did the brakes recently.. You should go from 25 to stop all the way up to 55 to stop to set your brakes.

Back