Brakes after new axles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brakes after new axles

Has anyone had any problems with the brakes once the axles have been changed. I drove the truck in the garage, changed the front and rear axles to 9" and a Dana 44 same setup, disc front drum rear. The only change is that the new brakes are bigger. What gives? Could it be the master cylinder or the diaphram. The brakes were never that great before but I could always stop! Please help!

what are your symptoms??

Before the conversion I had ok brakes and I discovered that the bolt for the front caliper was too long. So I switched to a different brake line (Superlift). The problem is basically we can bleed the brakes and once pressure is built up the pedal will get firm then go to the floor slowly. My best guess is I either have a leak that I cannot find or see or the master cylinder is bad. What do you think?

Hmmm, I can't really help you with your problem, but....

You might want to look into a disc brake conversion. I know Currie makes a good kit for 9" alxes, they're actually late-model Explorer brakes.

It sounds like your master is bypassing internally. Replace it but find something that has a bigger piston like something from an 95 F350. This will make up the difference in volume that the new brakes probably need.

Also make sure there is absolutely no air in the system. If you still have an ABS pump in the truck, this will have to be bleed as per Ford specs to get the air out.

Back