• Register Today It's free!

Break light switch wiring diagram

MCAT069

Reaction score
City, State
LUBBOCK, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4
I need to replace the break light switch on a 2003 Explorer XLT 4x4. Apparently the wiring harness has been updated and the new switch has different color wires that what came stock. The stock harness has a green wire with a red stripe and a brown wire with a black stripe. The new, updated brake light switch harness has a solid green and soild red wire only. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need to replace the break light switch on a 2003 Explorer XLT 4x4. Apparently the wiring harness has been updated and the new switch has different color wires that what came stock. The stock harness has a green wire with a red stripe and a brown wire with a black stripe. The new, updated brake light switch harness has a solid green and soild red wire only. Any advice would be most appreciated.
@MCAT069
Two different schemes are used, with Advance Trac, and without Advance Trac. Wiring schematics show the same Brake Pedal Position Switch (everyone still calls it "brake light switch". Advance Trac adds another switch, a sensor actually, to the brake pedal, called the Brake Pedal Pressure Switch.

First question would be, do you have Advance Trac? If not, only one switch is present. 2nd. is, does the high-mount brake light work, or not? Because the Position Switch feeds the high-mount directly, meaning, if the switch is bad, that lamp won't light. That would eliminate possibility of trouble in the Multi-function Switch, which is the Turn Signal Switch, it is also fed power by the Position Switch. WITH Advance Trac, the Position Switch also feeds power from Fuse #25 in the Battery Junction Box to the ABS Module.

So, in simple words, if the High Mount Lamp lights when brake pedal is pushed, the trouble lies elsewhere, probably in the Multifunction Switch. Position Switch OEM wires code LG/RD (Light Green/Red Stripe) from fuse, TN/BK (Tan/Black) to High Mount Lamp WITHOUT Advance Trac.

Would it help you if I scan the wiring diagrams and post them? That will take awhile, this evening if you say yes. imp

This Explorer does not have Advance Trac. It is my brother-in-law's vehicle and he states that it would not shift out of park and that none of the brake lights worked. He Googled those symptoms and came to the conclusion that the switch needed to be replaced. He purchased the updated switch with harness at O'Reilly's and proceeded to replace it. He cut off the original connector and that's when he realized that the wire colors do not match up and asked me for assistance.

This Explorer does not have Advance Trac. It is my brother-in-law's vehicle and he states that it would not shift out of park and that none of the brake lights worked. He Googled those symptoms and came to the conclusion that the switch needed to be replaced. He purchased the updated switch with harness at O'Reilly's and proceeded to replace it. He cut off the original connector and that's when he realized that the wire colors do not match up and asked me for assistance.
@MCAT069
The colors of wires do not affect their performance. They only provide a guide to use when tracing wiring. Nor would it matter which way the two were connected, as long as they were connected to the original two cut off wires. imp

Thank you for your assistance. I did not know if one was a ground or if one supplied power. I know that the color of the wire doesn't dictate performance; I just didn't want to reverse polarity or short something out by wiring in the new harness backwards.
@MCAT069
The colors of wires do not affect their performance. They only provide a guide to use when tracing wiring. Nor would it matter which way the two were connected, as long as they were connected to the original two cut off wires. imp

Thank you for your assistance. I did not know if one was a ground or if one supplied power. I know that the color of the wire doesn't dictate performance; I just didn't want to reverse polarity or short something out by wiring in the new harness backwards.
@MCAT069
By all means please let us know if the new switch solves the problem. It's getting to a point where there are so many switches & sensors, it's hard to keep up. imp

Back