Bringing my '96 out of retirement. What to do to get it into shape... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bringing my '96 out of retirement. What to do to get it into shape...

geosnooker2000

Reaction score
City, State
Somerville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
Any pointers would be appreciated.

In November of 2009, my tranny went bad. I didn't have the money to get it fixed, and I had a '93 that was serviceable, so I just started driving it instead. Now it is in need of lots of repair, so I think it's time to fix the '96 and reinstate it, and do a total restore on the '93 for my daughter's future driving needs while I'm driving the '96.

The '96 is an Eddie Bauer 4x4 with about 300,000 miles on her.
Known problems: (Truck has been stored outside the whole 2 years)

1) Of course, the tranny.
2) Blend door
3) CD player dead
4) Fuel has been sitting all this time - don't know at what level
5) Interior infested with spiders/spider webs (What kills spiders?)
6) Needs 4 new tires
7) Both rear door interior pulls need to be replaced/are broken.
8) Electric antenna plastic gear strip broken, but motor still works
9) needs new battery.
10) What else will I most likely encounter in this situation?

I need to get her on the driveway and clean her up before the tow truck takes her to Colman Taylor.

I think I know what I want to do for numbers 1, 2, 6, 7, and 9. Would love some input on all the other stuff!

Thanks,
George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change fluids, look for animal nests in the intake, around the engine compartment. if you live anywhere with rust, make sure it didn't sneak up anywhere, and make the truck unsafe.

Change fluids, look for animal nests in the intake, around the engine compartment. if you live anywhere with rust, make sure it didn't sneak up anywhere, and make the truck unsafe.

Good tip on the animal nests. I live near Memphis, so rust isn't a big factor like it would be up north. On the other hand, it has been through a lot of weather just sitting on grass and earth instead of a driveway. Still, I don't think it will be a problem.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is fuel. I feel like it needs to be drained, but how? Can I replace the fuel filter, and pump air into the tank while the fuel line is lose at the filter and push it all out, or does it not work that way?

And what about from the fuel filter to the engine? Is that not enough to worry about? Just start it and run that fuel through the motor with fresh fuel behind it? Are there some fuel additives I can pour into the gas tank that would be a good thing to do? That would prevent me from having to drain the fuel tank?

I would try to find out how much fuel is in it. I think there are some fuel conditioners you can put in it to help the old fuel. If it's a half of tank or less I think I would try to put some fuel conditioner in it and then top it off with fresh fuel. I'm not an expert though.

I would try to find out how much fuel is in it. I think there are some fuel conditioners you can put in it to help the old fuel. If it's a half of tank or less I think I would try to put some fuel conditioner in it and then top it off with fresh fuel. I'm not an expert though.

Can someone suggest a brand name on the fuel conditioner?

And I can see changing the oil and the coolant, but the power steering fluid? Surely not the brake fluid?

I think SeaFoam would work for in the old fuel.

Check the metal brake line at the rear axle, those like to rust.

Do a complete work-up on the brake system, like lubing the slide points, freeing the parking brake, etc.

At some point replace the fuel filter, I suppose after you clean the old fuel out.

Service the slip yokes, if applicable.

Do a full body lube: hinges, locks, cables, etc.

Change the transfer case fluid: this will be happening anyway when you R&R the transmission.

Check all of your vent tubes, bugs like to stash their goodies in there. The vents on the transmission & transfer case will be addressed during that R&R.

Service the spare tire system: lift, jack, etc.

Clean out body drains.

a '96 with 300,000 miles that's been sitting in wet grass for 2+ years? i wouldn't spend much money trying to put it back on the road. you don't say what engine it has, but i'm assuming it's a 5.0 V8 (4.0 V6's typically don't survive that many miles) even so, that's a lot of miles no matter how well it's been maintained. you've stated the trans has to be repaired (big bucks no matter how you look at it) add to that a complete brake job due to rust, draining the fuel tank, a tune-up, filters, fluids, tires, a battery and other parts/repairs you say need doing. add to that it sounds like you're planning on paying someone else to do the work plus tow charges... I'm all for getting the most out my vehicles, but i think you've already do so on this truck. even if you get it back on the road, how many more miles will you get out of that engine. i think you'd be better off buying another road worthy later model with fewer miles and maybe using your '96 for spare parts.

a '96 with 300,000 miles that's been sitting in wet grass for 2+ years? i wouldn't spend much money trying to put it back on the road. you don't say what engine it has, but i'm assuming it's a 5.0 V8 (4.0 V6's typically don't survive that many miles) even so, that's a lot of miles no matter how well it's been maintained. you've stated the trans has to be repaired (big bucks no matter how you look at it) add to that a complete brake job due to rust, draining the fuel tank, a tune-up, filters, fluids, tires, a battery and other parts/repairs you say need doing. add to that it sounds like you're planning on paying someone else to do the work plus tow charges... I'm all for getting the most out my vehicles, but i think you've already do so on this truck. even if you get it back on the road, how many more miles will you get out of that engine. i think you'd be better off buying another road worthy later model with fewer miles and maybe using your '96 for spare parts.

That all would be true.....

IF it were only about money. Yes, it's a V6 4.0 OHV, and yes, it was that well maintained before the tranny gave out. The ONLY work I don't do on my own vehicles is tranny work. And if I had the shop space and the time to learn it myself I would probably do that too.

I understand the math. It's the same math my mother has preached to me over the years. But let's say it costs me $3000 before it's all said and done to get this thing back right. Try buying a 4x4 to replace it that you KNOW would be in as good working order for $3000. Think about it. If you saw a '96 4x4 EB for only $3000 you wouldn't touch it without considering how much more work will reveal itself in a short time.

No. I love my truck. Partly because I know all of it's secrets.

And PS. I have TWO 4.0 OHVs, one '96 and one '93, that both have well over 300,000 miles. They do last - if you keep the oil changed, use Castrol full synthetic, and keep your coolant system operating properly.

I hear you snooker...everyone told me (everyone with more resources than I) to scrap my Explorer, "scrap prices are good now". Easy for them to say, not so easy for me to do. What I did instead, which I could NOT have done without explorerforum.com, was: rebuilt the transfer case MYSELF, rebuilt the transmission MYSELF, rebuilt the suspension MYSELF, etc., etc. YMMV

Mine was sitting for over 4 years.

okay, i understand your point of view. i've made, what others considered, an irrational decision or two on vehicles i've owned. just wanted to make sure you were considering your options. i've have spent an enormous amount of time and money on some classic vehicles i own because i love them. i just don't feel that way about daily drivers, but that doesn't mean you can't and it's hard to beat the feeling of self satisfaction you get from fixing something yourself.

I hear you snooker...everyone told me (everyone with more resources than I) to scrap my Explorer, "scrap prices are good now". Easy for them to say, not so easy for me to do. What I did instead, which I could NOT have done without explorerforum.com, was: rebuilt the transfer case MYSELF, rebuilt the transmission MYSELF, rebuilt the suspension MYSELF, etc., etc. YMMV

Mine was sitting for over 4 years.

Hey drdoom, thanks for the positive thoughts. What does YMMV mean?
And what is a slip yoke?

Snooker, the slip yokes are on the driveshafts, they allow for movement in the drivetrain. If you look underneath behind the transfer case, the joint is in the accordion type boot, kind of looks like a CV joint boot.

YMMV is a dated internet term, taken from auto manufacturer's advertising disclaimers: Your Mileage May Vary. Best wishes.

Snooker, the slip yokes are on the driveshafts, they allow for movement in the drivetrain. If you look underneath behind the transfer case, the joint is in the accordion type boot, kind of looks like a CV joint boot.

YMMV is a dated internet term, taken from auto manufacturer's advertising disclaimers: Your Mileage May Vary. Best wishes.

Ahh. Got it. On both counts. Merry Christmas.

I just bought a 97 Mounty V8 that was sitting for 19 months. I put a can of seafoam in a week before, to pull out the moister, and put a bottle of Star tron fuel restore in 48 hour before I attempted to start her up. I ran that 1/2 tank of 2 year old fuel with no issues. When that tank went completely empty, I change the fuel filter. I drive her 103 miles a day and haven't had a problem yet.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

Oh yeah, check all the body and suspension bushings. I'm not sure if the cane rats got a hold of mine or if time and S. Fl. heat did, but most were either gone or shot.

Anybody got an idea on the spiders?

Kill them. :p

For the spiders buy an aerosol can that has pyrethrins as the active ingredient. Fog up under the dash and every nook and cranny you can find and immediately close her up. Spiders are harder to kill than insects and you may have to do it a coupla times...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back