• Register Today It's free!

Broken Coil Spring?

Wade_Racer

Reaction score
City, State
St. Albans,WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Hi all first off this is my first post i just purchased a 2002 explorer xlt so far i love it, I bought it with no warranty, so i heard this sqeaking niose in the passenger side rear, i look underneath and the coil spring is broke off and its rubbing the shock which is also the only thing holding the spring on. My question is, is this common has anyone else ever had this happen? Should i go ahead replace both springs and shocks the vehicle has 111K miles? thanks in advance for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very common for the 02's

You can replace one spring, ideally you should do both.
If shocks are not leaking and the ride is not bad, they should be fine.

Oh... Welcome ! :D

I would replace both... your X will look crooked otherwise.

Check out coilsprings.com as you can get a "lift" spring with increased stiffness for the same price as an OEM set.

Thanks glad to be here, well I got it up on the lift and saw that BOTH rear springs were broke and one had rubbed on the strut so bad i went ahead n replaced the springs and struts but it ride 100% percent better. why is this so common on the 02's and what about the front ones i checked them out and seems to be fine.

i did mine a couple months ago when i bought it. cost $270 for springs and struts. the place i got the springs and struts from compressed then and placed the strut inside the spring. all i had to do was throw them on. took a few hours, but i could do it again in an hour a side now.

Back