• Register Today It's free!

Broken front shock mount stud

1996B4000

Reaction score
City, State
Heathsville VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 B4000 LE
Changing shocks on 1996 B4000 with 198,000 miles; started on driver's side front. Tried and tried and tried to loosen the bolt on the bottom mount, ended up snapping it off -- the shock is still in place, small threaded piece sticking out.

From looking at the backside of where the lower shock mount bolt is it appears there is a hole in the frame with a stud threaded through it, tack-welded on the inside of the frame) with the stud sticking out the outside and that's where the bottom of the shock mounts.

Is it possible to grind off the welds on the inside of the frame, screw/beat/curse to get the stud out, replace it with a Grade 8 bolt or new stud?

Meanwhile I'll crawl under the truck every day for a couple of weeks and spray PB Blaster on all the shock mount parts in preparation for working on the other three shocks.

Changing shocks on 1996 B4000 with 198,000 miles; started on driver's side front. Tried and tried and tried to loosen the bolt on the bottom mount, ended up snapping it off -- the shock is still in place, small threaded piece sticking out.

From looking at the backside of where the lower shock mount bolt is it appears there is a hole in the frame with a stud threaded through it, tack-welded on the inside of the frame) with the stud sticking out the outside and that's where the bottom of the shock mounts.

Is it possible to grind off the welds on the inside of the frame, screw/beat/curse to get the stud out, replace it with a Grade 8 bolt or new stud?

Meanwhile I'll crawl under the truck every day for a couple of weeks and spray PB Blaster on all the shock mount parts in preparation for working on the other three shocks.

Check out this part: Dorman 661001. Looks as though that will work if I can get the broken stud out.

Back