How to avoid breaking front shock mount? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to avoid breaking front shock mount?

chris070780

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I was thinking about replacing my shocks on my Trail rig, 91 Xploder, to improve the off road ride. Not really sure it will help, but it couldn’t make it any worse. I read that I am almost guaranteed to break a lower shock mount. So, any tips on how to get the nut off without breaking the stud??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Start soaking it with pb blaster every day for a week before you try to remove it. Then you could heat the nut also.

I broke one on mine. Grinding off the old stud and drilling a hole for the replacement isn't too bad so I wouldn't stress over it.

Definitely use the spray penetrant, well ahead of when you'll be doing the work. Spray it on there once a day, then when you're getting close to doing the job, use a normal length 3/8" ratchet with socket to gently try and loosen the nut on the lower shock mount stud. You might not get it loose on the first try, but giving it some slight torque once in awhile will eventually loosen it, without the harsh, sudden torque of using a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar, which will surely break it if the nut is rusted on there.

I was worried about mine too, but with some patience, they came off clean and easy.

reviving a thread, but where can I find a new shock mount after breaking one off?

Its a very common part. You find it in the help section of auto parts stores.

~Mark

ok, thanks.

That will go in the hole in the radius arm where the old mount was?

Yup. You just need to drill/knock out the broken one.

There are a few threads around for broken shock mounts.

~Mark

fair enough, already knocked out the old one. I'll probably have to drive to the next town over to get the part though. Sucks being out here sometimes.

Back