Broken rear coils ..Moog as a replacement any good? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken rear coils ..Moog as a replacement any good?

buubba429x

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
My rear coil springs have broken so I am looking to replace them. Considering all the horrible reviews and experiences with the OEM Ford coil springs snapping into pieces, I figure it might be a good idea to replace them with another brand to avoid having them break again. Moog seems to be a popular brand that provides an OE replacement. There is also AC Delco and Duralast, among others. The Moog replacement coil springs for the rear (part #81132) are available from Rockauto for about $56 + shipping which is an awesome price. Anybody have any experience with Moog products or replacing their broken rear springs with aftermarket ones?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From your vehicle profile I see that yours is a 2003. If so what was the production date? Haven't heard of 2003 with broken springs. 2002 appears to be affected.
If you never replaced the "shocks" and had the springs break, it would make more sense to replace the whole assembly with QuickStruts or Prime Choice instead. You'll get the best of both worlds.

I am running the StrutTeks from Prime Choice on all four corners and have no complaints.

www.primechoiceautoparts.com

As far as I'm concerned, they are a great replacement strut assembly! :D:thumbsup:

I got the Moog rear coils for $188 and they seem fine. No ride difference from the old ones.

Back