Moderator Elite Explorer
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC
For those of you who have broken the recliner lever.
The first picture shows the old lever mechanism and where it breaks.
The second picture shows the new modified and strengthen part from Ford.
Finally installed and back to normal.

Attachments

• DSC00411 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00411 (Medium).JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 3,127
  • DSC00413 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00413 (Medium).JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 3,078
  • DSC00417 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00417 (Medium).JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 3,807

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much of a pain was that to install? Mine broke last week... :(

Please let us know how much work it was to replace and how much did the part cost?
I called the dealer and they wanted $130 canadian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I looked at repairing it but as the break was right at the pivot I thought it best to replace. I got the new part from Ford dealership at a cost of £64 (which is about $130 can) so at least i know that this time i was not ripped off. Fitting is very easy just 4 bolts (two on the squab part and two on the upright). The only bit that is hard to reach is the top bolt on the back of the seat. In standard Ford fashion the bolts are not all the same and you will need a torx (45) for one bolt.

I checked with fords part network and the cost is $59.99 my freight is another $25 US then there is customs they have to get there share! so it works out to be about the same as the dealer is quoting me here at $130 cdn. Anyway, thanks "Premier", but anyone who needs this part from the fords part network the part number is:
XL2Z-7862649-AA. There is another thread about this and it quotes the wrong part number! so I hope this helps someone else.
This should have been recalled!!!!!!!
C Ya.

I got a letter from Ford last week about an outstanding recall on my '98: "Recliner Bolt". Is this the problem being discussed here or is it something entirely different?

Ford does have a recall out on the recliner bolt due to them breaking but we are discussing how a lot of people have had problems with the lever breaking off. Ford just redesigned the part instead of recalling it, I say it is still a safety concern!!!

well, good news and bad news, i found a handle at a juck yard!!!!!!!!! But the seat is too far back to get to the bolts, and more or less the front clip is gone so i can not hook up a battery :( so does anyone know how to move a 1 gen seat w/o power, or an idea i have is to use every u-joint i own.

Back