Brown wire mod on a sport manual transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brown wire mod on a sport manual transmission

Derek99whitesport

Reaction score
City, State
Surrey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 sport
Question for everyone who has done the modwith a lit switch.
This is one of the first modifications I did two by two door Explorer Sport manual transmission when I got it. The first time I drove it in the rain the front end was doing all kinds of weird fun funky things so I immediately took to the internet and found the article on the brown wire modification. As it was spring when I did it I just cut the wire. Then I finally went back in connected it to a switch that was lit and then proceeded to ground the switch to a nonmetal component making the light inoperable. The second time I went into the dash to install the stereo system I spent the time to finally get this right. Now here's the question part of it on my Sport with a manual transmission the light comes on completely based off of throttle position and nothing else. If I go over 1/3 throttle the light comes on dimly once I get past half throttle it's on full bright. This is on dry pavement. In fact if I am in neutral and just goose the throttle it comes on full bright.
I'm wondering if anyone who has an automatic is seeing the same thing.

Okay I just re read the wikipedia article on Control Trac and my opinion is that the article is completely wrong. In neutral with my foot on the brake at a complete stand still the front driveshaft is being engaged completely based off of throttle position.

I am glad I kept the transfer case from my sport trac. At least it is supposed to be 2 wheel drive

Back