budget exhaust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

budget exhaust

drolls

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer awd 5.0
Hey guys, I'm trying to get some throaty exhaust for minimal funds on my 01 5.0. The route I think I'm gonna go is a y pipe going into a single in/out cherry bomb extreme and maintaining the stock pipe and resonator out back. Anyone else running this set-up? What kind of sound should I expect? Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 99 5.0 has a muffler delete and a side exit right before the rear tire. All 4 cats still in place. It will rattle windows.

Thanks for the reply man, do you think leaving the stock pipe and resonator will quiet it down alot? I want loud, but I don't want to piss off the old lady either.

If anyone is interested, I went with my planned set up of adding two pieces of pipe to compensate for the shortness of the cherry bomb extreme running into a magnaflow y pipe into a single in/out cherry bomb extreme and left the resonator and stock tail pipe. LOVE the sound, deep and mellow at idle. Really sounds good when the engine is under load, very little drone on the highway. Just enough drone actually, I tend to like it but most people don't.

I went with a chambered magnaflow on my 96 and a secondary cat removal with the stock exhaust. My 99 has all cats and no muffler with a side exit. The 96 is very tame but sounds good for a daily, not so great at higher rpm though, the 99 is a monster. It sounds like a straight up mud truck and get's that nasty 302 crackle around 4k rpm. It will actually shoot flames out the side exit at high rpm under load. I've got a video of it shooting a constant 12" blue flame out the exhaust until I let off the gas.

I was thinking of doing something with my exhaust. I wanted a throatier sound but not old school muscle car throaty. Just something slightly louder with a little rumble to it. I might have to try the cherry bomb extreme and Y pipe idea. How much did that set up end up costing you?

I was thinking of doing something with my exhaust. I wanted a throatier sound but not old school muscle car throaty. Just something slightly louder with a little rumble to it. I might have to try the cherry bomb extreme and Y pipe idea. How much did that set up end up costing you?

Muffler was $31 on Amazon and the magnaflow y pipe was $29

Out curiosity, what size and "make" of pipe did you use (i.e. where did you purchase it)? I've been recommended to just go to Summit Racing online but curious to see what the other options are

2.25 stainless, not sure who made it, I can post pics and a sound clip when I have some time and figure out how to do it.

I went with a chambered magnaflow on my 96 and a secondary cat removal with the stock exhaust. My 99 has all cats and no muffler with a side exit. The 96 is very tame but sounds good for a daily, not so great at higher rpm though, the 99 is a monster. It sounds like a straight up mud truck and get's that nasty 302 crackle around 4k rpm. It will actually shoot flames out the side exit at high rpm under load. I've got a video of it shooting a constant 12" blue flame out the exhaust until I let off the gas.
I would like to see some flames

Back