MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I really, really don't want to get one but it has been just over a month since I have painted my hood and it is already chipped to all hell.
I do a good bit of interstate driving, so it seems either deal with it or get a bug deflector.

I am going with the deflector. Those of you that have them, I want one that is as subtle as possible wile still being functionable.

I will be getting one that is clear and painting just the back side and I will come up with and easy attach remove system.

Any thoughts ? Comments ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know they make ones that just scren into the holes that are already on the underside of the hood... Thats how mine is attached.... It makes for a stronger "hold" than using the 3M tape like some suggest....

I dont know if that helps with your removal process... but it is a comment and you said they were welcome:D

I have the LUND Avenger style. It is very low profile, and blends well with the dark blue paint. I feel like it has done a good job pf protecting the hood even though very low profile. I doubt it would deflect things away from the windshield loke taller ones will. Sorry I don't have a digital camera, but I imagine their website will have a picture.

here's mine..i love it(yes it's going to be painted..lol)
2003-12-31%20023.JPG

AK,
your is a Lund as well ?

no it's a AVS(auto vent shade)

Here's mine.... its from Ford:)
front_angle.jpg

I got mine from Weathertech and I like it very much. Here's a pic of mine:

DSC01766.JPG

I take mine off when winter comes around because I don't have to worry about bugs. I'll be putting it back on when I detail my truck in the spring.

i ahve an auto ventshade one, too. theres pics on my site(which is actuall up full time now). it blends real well with darker x's. i really like it, but if you need to take it out, you have to break the screw bracket things.

they all look relatively about the same hight.
That is my main factor.
I guess if it is all the same it is gonna boil down to cost.

I am on a raod trip this weekend down to Raleigh ( more chips ! ) I'll check back here Monday and make my move early next week.

Keep the coments and pic comming please.

you all rock !!!!!!!!!!

When I was shopping for one, and really didn't want to look at this thing on my hood. I found that there were basicly 4 main styles offered by most companies. there was the low profile ones often termed a hood protector.
The other is the same except for they have a raised lip to the back of them which deflects things up and over the vehicle often termed a hood and cowl protector. To make the other two styles the afore-mentioned come in either hood width or longer to cover the front corner of fenders also. Each company of course has it's own styling but these seem to be the 4 bases. Then again can't forget the flat stand straight up ones of yesteryear got to love that look:rolleyes:

funny thing is..i dident get mine for bug's or rock's..i got mine for LOOK's(after paint)

Back