Build me a pursuit vehicle (AWD V8) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Build me a pursuit vehicle (AWD V8)

Last Ride

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Okay, so my '00 XLT has around 220,000 miles on it. It has given me years of quality service, and I don't want that to stop. I have been toying with the idea of making it a real pursuit vehicle (I use it as a surveillance vehicle right now). Anyway, my idea originally was to build a 347. Now, I am also kicking around the addition of a supercharger. I want to do the exhaust and most likely and X-grip suspension from EE as well. Can anyone make some good recommendations? It has to be street reliable, so nothing too radical and pump gas are a must. What kind of power can I expect to make? Thanks a bunch.

Bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can probably pretty easily setup a decent pursuit vehicle.. first off, look into doug904 from bamachips... also look for section525, his 5.0 is built up rather nicely, and isnt too crazy....

good night 220,000 on a 2000 ?

You dont drive that thing too much now do you ?

Just breaking her in.... The sad thing is, it had a mere 10,000 on the clock when I put it in service in September of '01. Come to think of it, I am considering contacting Mobil 1 to see if they want to buy my story. I switched to Mobil 1 when I bought the thing. Since then, the motor has outlasted just about every other piece on the car! I am on my third transmission....

Third Trans.. ouuww

Boggl said:
Third Trans.. ouuww

Yeah, but I can't really complain. I do have to drive hard on occasion. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that the transmission has been rebuilt twice. It was never actually replaced with a new unit. Still at over $1000 a pop, not a cheap fix!

Ah Ok -
I'm just wondering what to expect in the up and coming mileage on the Exploder. Tranny feels good so far. I have had the fluid changed three times and every time the technician says he's never seen fluid look so bad...
Hmmnnn :eek:

2000Sportdriver said:
good night 220,000 on a 2000 ?

You dont drive that thing too much now do you ?

That's nothing. When I managed a parts store back in '99 a guy came in with 697,000 miles on his '96 Accord. Stock motor and tranny. He did a full tune-up every two weeks.

-Chris

A full tune-up every two weeks is pretty much a waste of money, isn't it?

Has anyone tried swapping the supercharged V8 from a Lightning? It would make a good persuit vehicle out of an Explorer. And in general a really cool project.

RayLCC said:
Has anyone tried swapping the supercharged V8 from a Lightning? It would make a good persuit vehicle out of an Explorer. And in general a really cool project.

Probably wouldn't fit real well. The 5.0 is crammed enough already in an Ex's engine compartment.

chrisbequick said:
That's nothing. When I managed a parts store back in '99 a guy came in with 697,000 miles on his '96 Accord. Stock motor and tranny. He did a full tune-up every two weeks.

Dang, that's pretty nuts. The world record, however, still belongs to a mid 60's Volvo that was driven by a taxi driver. He had over a million on it.

the way i would do it....
new stock block/crank
dished pistons (kieth black aint bad)
trick flow twisted wedge heads
trick flor stage 1 cam
frickflow pushrods
1.6rr's
trickflow intake
and then all the lil stuff like ignition,injectors etc....

and maybe a vortech s-trim if ya wanna spend the money

and im not sure what tranny you have but im sure they make more heavy duty discs etc for it

Go turbo. You'll make more hp per dollar than building a n\a motor.

It all depends just what you want to pursue. Down here for pursuit vehicles we have to pursue Porsche 911 Turbos and Ferraris and all sorts of other incredibly crazy fast cars. Our pursuit vehicles are roided up SS Camaros, some roided Corvettes, and a fwe other more exotic cars they're rumored to have, but I've never seen.

Explorers weigh in at well over 4000 pounds, so you're gonna need a lot of power to keep up with even a 300 Hp firebird of mustang or whatnot.

TTG said:
It all depends just what you want to pursue. Down here for pursuit vehicles we have to pursue Porsche 911 Turbos and Ferraris and all sorts of other incredibly crazy fast cars. Our pursuit vehicles are roided up SS Camaros, some roided Corvettes, and a fwe other more exotic cars they're rumored to have, but I've never seen.

Explorers weigh in at well over 4000 pounds, so you're gonna need a lot of power to keep up with even a 300 Hp firebird of mustang or whatnot.

Don't forget, he has to turn too, can a SUV be made to handle as well as a Mustang or Camero?

Ya. I'd have to agree with JackC. I couldn't picture bouncin down the highway at about 100mph or more and seeing a corner coming up with cars full of families and children! Or definitely not through neighborhoods with lots of turns. Not agile enough. It would probably be safer just to shoot at them! Just kidding sort of. I understand some jerks NEED to be caught, but I'm a little judgemental on the topic. My good friend's sister and baby were T-boned by a high speed pursuit and she was killed instantly. Be safe.
Peace

Back