Buying 1st Explorer: lurch during braking while test driving 02 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying 1st Explorer: lurch during braking while test driving 02 XLT

jayton

Reaction score
City, State
Jefferson, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT V8
Hello guys,

I am looking to buy an 02 Explorer XLT. I just test drove one that is priced right and that I am seriously looking to buy in the next few days. It has the 4.6L and is a 4 door with just over 100k miles.

As I was pulling out of the parking lot, I noticed the vehicle lurch or jerk forward while I was coming to a stop to look for traffic. I was still in the parking lot, so it did it at a very low speed. It only did it that once and it drove perfect the rest of the test drive. I could hear no whine from the rear and the transmission shifted very smoothly.

Anyone experience anything like that before?

Am I going to test drive it again before I buy.

Thanks,
jayton

Hello guys,

I am looking to buy an 02 Explorer XLT. I just test drove one that is priced right and that I am seriously looking to buy in the next few days. It has the 4.6L and is a 4 door with just over 100k miles.

As I was pulling out of the parking lot, I noticed the vehicle lurch or jerk forward while I was coming to a stop to look for traffic. I was still in the parking lot, so it did it at a very low speed. It only did it that once and it drove perfect the rest of the test drive. I could hear no whine from the rear and the transmission shifted very smoothly.

Anyone experience anything like that before?

Am I going to test drive it again before I buy.

Thanks,
jayton

Yeah my '03 Limited AWD V8 has done that to me several times. Only happens when the outside temperature is cold AND the engine is cold. Some sort of transmission lunge which the dealership could not reproduce. They claim to be in the dark about it despite the fact that others obviously have experienced the same. Has not been an issue since March/April. I got the extended warranty just in case it rears its ugly head again. Thus far in the 19 months I've owned my Explorer I've been very happy with it. Only needed an oil change (and the rear liftgate recall). Had 12k miles; now at 25k miles. Good luck to you.

I bought the Explorer anyway, as it seems very small. I think that it may be the transmission downshifting.

Back