Buying a 2012 Explorer - Nervous about MFT Issues (please advise) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying a 2012 Explorer - Nervous about MFT Issues (please advise)

g0phish

Reaction score
City, State
FT Mill SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Wrangler
I’m looking at getting a used 4runner, or Explorer. I must have a fully functioning rear view camera, and stereo. I don’t mind buying aftermarket stereo, or camera. The Explorer is going to be at least 5 grand cheaper, so I’m really looking into it. Here’s my question…

If I bought an older 2011+ Explorer, will there still be a chance that I’d buy one of the explorers with the stereo issues? Has all of it been resolved Or will it all be fixed if I get the 3.8 update. Are updates free, and can I get one on a 2012? Is there a way for me to check before buying if it was going to have issues?

Should I be worried? I seriously couldn’t risk getting the Explorer only to have these issues pop up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

every car maker has their issues with vehicles.

You can update the MFT for free through syncmyride.com. I believe you can check the version it has installed by going into the setting menu for the MFT.

You can pull a carfax to see what has been repaired and maintenance has been done, but only if it has been reported to carfax.

And if you are that worried, by the extended warranty for it.

I’m looking at getting a used 4runner, or Explorer. I must have a fully functioning rear view camera, and stereo. I don’t mind buying aftermarket stereo, or camera. The Explorer is going to be at least 5 grand cheaper, so I’m really looking into it. Here’s my question…

If I bought an older 2011+ Explorer, will there still be a chance that I’d buy one of the explorers with the stereo issues? Has all of it been resolved Or will it all be fixed if I get the 3.8 update. Are updates free, and can I get one on a 2012? Is there a way for me to check before buying if it was going to have issues?

Should I be worried? I seriously couldn’t risk getting the Explorer only to have these issues pop up.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
The 2 vehicles you mentioned are very different. Much of which to chose lays with what you wish to use it for. If for off-roading, then the 4Runner with its 'body on frame' structure is the one you want. If no off-roading or mild off-roading is preferable than the 'unibody' Explorer may be the way to go. Is there a chance the used Explorer will have MFT issues, yes, there is always that chance. Even new ones can have issues with it. I believe when you say stereo that you really mean MFT (MyFord Touch). I had no issues with my previous 2011 Explorer Limited nor with my current MKT. The MFT software updates are free of charge. I would make sure that the dealer has installed the latest updates before driving away. Make it part of any deal you make. I don't know if you can check for possible problems with the MFT but I'm sure other members will have ideas for that.

Peter

You can update the MFT for free through syncmyride.com. I believe you can check the version it has installed by going into the setting menu for the MFT.

Does it seem that the people who were having issues with their old MFT systems locking up/etc. are not having the issues based on the last new updates?

Does it seem that the people who were having issues with their old MFT systems locking up/etc. are not having the issues based on the last new updates?

Maybe so. updates are supposed to fix issues with the system.

I am a new Explorer owner myself, but not new to Ford.

It's fine! there were issues in the beginning back in 2011 but they have had numerous updates since then. There is another big update (ver 2.8) as recent as Dec 18 2015, less than a month ago. You can download from syncmyride.com copy on a USB stick plug into your vehicle and update yourself.
I just did mine today. Was simple.

It's fine! there were issues in the beginning back in 2011 but they have had numerous updates since then. There is another big update (ver 2.8) as recent as Dec 18 2015, less than a month ago. You can download from syncmyride.com copy on a USB stick plug into your vehicle and update yourself.
I just did mine today. Was simple.

I believe you meant to say Ver 3.8.

Peter

We bought our 2013 CPO Explorer just under 2 weeks ago...not only has MFT been fine, but comments i've gotten from friends i've spoken with over the phone, etc. say it's the best bluetooth system they've ever heard (at least from a sound quality perspective). They honestly can't tell the difference between bluetooth and privacy mode.

Back