Buying a 3rd gen...what to look for? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying a 3rd gen...what to look for?

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Howdy. I searched around but couldn't find what I'm looking for...

I'm very interested in a 2002 at a local Ford dealer. It's a black Limited with black leather. 89k miles, 4.0L, Control Trac, silver alloy wheels (not chrome). It looks pretty sharp, though to me it looked like the paint was a little worn. No excessive rust underneath, didn't check under the hood or under the doors, hood, or tailgate lips yet. I don't want to buy a vehicle with rust that's starting to peek though (been through enough of that *junk* with my '93 Limited. They're asking $10,919 for it.

I've checked autotrader (online) and their price seems right on, a bit on the lower side infact. Am I correct that this is a pretty good deal? I haven't test drove it.

I feel that the 4.0L is good for me. I don't really tow, though I understand the 4.6 is only one mpg worse in testing.

With a 3rd gen and this many miles, are there any particular issues we should look for? We're pretty good when buying used cars, but wanna know if there's anything special to be aware of. I mentioned it in another thread, but does the 5 speed auto last quite a while?

I'm going to ask them what they'd give for my Limited as a trade in. If they'll give like $1,500 for it, I'd let them have it, but I don't think they'd give that much and I'd be better selling it myself. Its got some rust issues.

Actually, in person it does not have a V8 emblem, but their online ad says it has the 4.6. Did the 2002s not have an emblem?

Thanks guys.

I really don't know wat to look for, climb under the car to check to see if anything is leaking, like engine and the diff. Also price seems high if u ask me. I bought my 02 explorer sport 4x4 with 49k on it last july for 11,500 with a 6 month warranty. I sweet talked my way into the warranty haha. hope this helps some.

Make sure the rear end has been properly repaired. The 02 are notorious for catrostrophic rear end failures, due to a manufacturing defect. Does the rear make any noise? Is there any record of the repair? Will the dealer provide any warrenty?

Back