Buying Explorer and needing Advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying Explorer and needing Advice

Sonny

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB V8 2WD
Hello all, 1st time on the board. I am looking to buy a used Explorer. I have done some research, test drove a 2 door Sport. Now I would like some opinions from owners on the best buy.

I know I want a 2wd 4.0 SOHC with AT and Cruise, power windows locks etc.. I am not sure about 2 door or 4, we have another SUV (4x4 Rodeo) for the family. I will not get another Rodeo, the ride quality on the hwy is too rash.

I kinda like the 2 door look, maybe the 4 door is a better buy and better for long trips. Any help here would be appreicated. Is the ride quality the same between the 2?

I know the 97 was the 1st year for the SOHC so nothing older than that. Are there any pros or cons on the different years? 97, 98, 99 or are they all about the same?

I want to stay under 10k so 99 is the newest I can get. Thanks in advance for any advice anyone may have...
Sonny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2dr's ride harder then the 4drs unless you get an 02' 2dr which comes with two-stage leafs (I think it was 02' Sports and Sport Tracs that got the 2 stage leafs). I'll agree about the Rodeo, very slow compared to an sohc or 5.0 Explorer and rides like a brick, Explorer still rides like a nice truck but way less harsher/bouncy then Rodeos.

The sohc was introduced in 97' and I wouldn't recommend finding a 97' with the sohc.

You best bet is a 96-99 5.0 w/ 2wd. You get more power and especially torque, a bullet proof engine thats as reliable as one can get, and the 4R70W tranny thats much more stronger and basically bullet proof also compared to the crappy V6 trannies. Plus, the 5.0's get the same and for the most part better mileage then the sohc....and a set of flows or magnaflows will get you close to sounding like a 5.0 Stang.......5.0 rumble nuff said lol.

98's and up have a new tailgate design that looks much classier then before and few other changes that I'm drawing a blank on w/ a brain fart. I hated the overstuffed bucket seats that were in our 97' Mountaineer, but the seats in our 00' Mountaineer and 01' Explorer are much better, nice and firm like a sports cars seat.

I'd try to find a 99' 5.0 2wd Explorer or Mountaineer, you'll have 215hp and 288ftlb tq with a very mod friendly engine;) I don't know if you could get a 99' under 10k but I know there are plenty of 5.0 Explorers you could pick up for that or less. The 3.73ls rear kicks ass with 2wd 5.0's, our Mounty is good for 16.1 in the 1/4 at 86mph...hauling for a heavy stock truck.

You best bet is a 96-99 5.0 w/ 2wd. You get more power and especially torque, a bullet proof engine thats as reliable as one can get, and the 4R70W tranny thats much more stronger and basically bullet proof also compared to the crappy V6 trannies. Plus, the 5.0's get the same and for the most part better mileage then the sohc....and a set of flows or magnaflows will get you close to sounding like a 5.0 Stang.......5.0 rumble nuff said lol
I couldn't agree more. Took the words out of my mouth. Believe me when I tell you, I am SOOO happy I got the 5.0 instead of the SOHC. I get 15.5mpg city and 20mpg hwy. As SaleenEXP said, close to the same mileage as the SOHC.

If you have the opportunity, get the 5.0.

You best bet is a 96-99 5.0 w/ 2wd. You get more power and especially torque, a bullet proof engine thats as reliable as one can get, and the 4R70W tranny thats much more stronger and basically bullet proof also compared to the crappy V6 trannies.

Thanks, I have started leaning toward the V8 I like your advice.

Another question, who make the trans in the V6 and why is it not a good choice? :eek:

Get a 5.0. I did not think there was a difference until my brother got a SOHC V6. That V6 works for it and you can hear it in the upper milage. Good luck

I have a 2000 Sport, and I am very happy with it.
Gas milage leaves a bit to be desired, but most SUV's share in that.
The ride actually is very nice. I just did a 5+ hour drive with no numb butt. I have ridden in some Rodeo's and the Ex Sport is unquestionably a step up. The rear does sag a bit but this spring I will be adding 4 door leafs to remedy that.

Good luck in your shoping!

I have a 98 4 door 2wd 5.0 and i love it. I didnt know it had 288ft lbs of torque though. I havent had many troubles with mine so far knock on wood. My cruse control button lights have gone out on one side but thats about it. I like the extra room in the 4 doors and i have needed all of it moving stuff or going on trip. I just wish the back seats were a few inches further back because the leg room isnt exactly great. 5.0 is fun for passing on the roads too because it has some get up and go if you open it up. Like the other people said the 302 is a really good engine.

Back