Buying used Explorer - things to look out for? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying used Explorer - things to look out for?

Threeper88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 F-150 FX4
Hello everyone, new member here. I'm looking to purchase a used Explorer Sport for my wife. We've always coveted the 5th Gen and think it is one of the most handsome vehicles on the road. But every cars has it's issues.

I'm pretty dialed in on the 3.5 ecoboost and their issues on the F-150 platform but I wanted to check in here and see what some of you Explorer owners have to say about things to look out for.

I'm aware of the cabin exhaust complaints. How widespread/bad is this really? Could be a dealbreaker as I have a 9 month old and wouldn't subject her to that.

On the F-150, the gen1 3.5 eco's had issues with crud build up on the intake valves which sometime necessitated the use of catch cans. Is this a thing with the Explorers as well?

Any other things that come to mind as stuff to watch out for on these vehicles?

The F-150 received the gen2 3.5 with direct and port injection in 2017, also the case here?

I'm looking in the 2013-2017ish range.

I ran a few searches but didn't have much luck. (always found forum search functions to be lacking).

Thanks for your help everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Other than the obvious, it's a hit or miss.
I was able to sell my 2016 Sport to a coworker, as I took care of the vehicle very meticulously and got most of the outstanding issues repaired, such as the hood corrosion, exhaust leak (even though it never smelled), a new PTU and transmission, two new front axles and rear toe links replaced.
Basically, I sold him a brand new EX, minus the engine, which is still covered under the powertrain warranty.

Hello everyone, new member here. I'm looking to purchase a used Explorer Sport for my wife. We've always coveted the 5th Gen and think it is one of the most handsome vehicles on the road. But every cars has it's issues.

I'm pretty dialed in on the 3.5 ecoboost and their issues on the F-150 platform but I wanted to check in here and see what some of you Explorer owners have to say about things to look out for.

I'm aware of the cabin exhaust complaints. How widespread/bad is this really? Could be a dealbreaker as I have a 9 month old and wouldn't subject her to that.

On the F-150, the gen1 3.5 eco's had issues with crud build up on the intake valves which sometime necessitated the use of catch cans. Is this a thing with the Explorers as well?

Any other things that come to mind as stuff to watch out for on these vehicles?

The F-150 received the gen2 3.5 with direct and port injection in 2017, also the case here?

I'm looking in the 2013-2017ish range.

I ran a few searches but didn't have much luck. (always found forum search functions to be lacking).

Thanks for your help everyone!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There are some threads on this but this thread should answer most questions; Helpful Hints for a Pre-Pick Up Inspection / Check List
The 'Search' feature here works quite well once you become familiar with it.

Peter

Search and research water pump, ptu, hood corrosion, exhaust odor. Those are the biggies for this generation, especially if you are wanting to keep it 100k or more. My 2011 has never once had exhaust smell and ford has extended the recall to March 31 2019 if you did get a car that has the exhaust smell. Just got letter in mail.

Rust. Every Ford I have owned has had door jamb and trunk rust in the seams or lack of. I wax with Klasse 2x a year, wash lots but WI winters catch up. Our Sienna has zero rust.

Last year I got a 2013 XLT, turned out that model/year had some issues corrected 2014 onward. So first of all I would avoid 2013 because of the issues and it was the first year the Sport was offered. Also we are talking about a turbo engine, the fewer miles you can afford the better. If I was you I would get the newest model, that would be 2017. 2015-2016 would be a good choice, check it with a respectable mechanic, don´t follow car fax blindly, there can be issues with a clean car fax vehicle. Give it a good road test, warm it up and give it a good rev down the road, you want to be sure that Ecoboost engine is in good working order.

Great responses everyone, thank you. Definitely going to keep the PTU and water pump in mind, as well of course the exhaust issues.

With that said, what do you all think of these vehicles? Any regrets given their problems? Or are you more along the thinking of all vehicles have issues pick, your poison.

While searching around used I began to look at new pricing. There seems to be some great pricing on the few remaining 18' models dealers are trying to get off their lots. There are some hefty rebates OR 0%APR on 18's.

I'm currently looking at an 2018 401a

MSRP $53,110
Invoice $50,787.96 (this seems high compared F-150 invoice vs. MSRP ratio)

Dealer price before negotiations...

$45,988 - 0% APR 60 month
$41,988 - Rebates, standard financing

Seems like a good deal. Should I try to whittle them down more?

Great responses everyone, thank you. Definitely going to keep the PTU and water pump in mind, as well of course the exhaust issues.

With that said, what do you all think of these vehicles? Any regrets given their problems? Or are you more along the thinking of all vehicles have issues pick, your poison.

While searching around used I began to look at new pricing. There seems to be some great pricing on the few remaining 18' models dealers are trying to get off their lots. There are some hefty rebates OR 0%APR on 18's.

I'm currently looking at an 2018 401a

MSRP $53,110
Invoice $50,787.96 (this seems high compared F-150 invoice vs. MSRP ratio)

Dealer price before negotiations...

$45,988 - 0% APR 60 month
$41,988 - Rebates, standard financing

Seems like a good deal. Should I try to whittle them down more?

Definitely sounds like a good deal, new vehicle with warranty :thumbsup:. If possible get extended warranty, and by all means, take the price as low as you can!

In terms of ESP, check the stickied threads of this sub forum, there is one that has info on how to obtain one at cost.

In terms of purchasing, check blue oval forums about x plan pricing.

If a guy was trying to detect exhaust leaking into the cabin on a test drive, would it be more pronounced with the air blowing or completely off?

If a guy was trying to detect exhaust leaking into the cabin on a test drive, would it be more pronounced with the air blowing or completely off?

Air blowing. The HVAC will suck up any exhaust into the system when under WOT if the issue is present.

Air blowing. The HVAC will suck up any exhaust into the system when under WOT if the issue is present.

And, I think having it in recirculation mode and both fans on high will "aid" in bringing in the smell.
If the HVAC reprogramming was completed, then the recirculation mode turns of under heavy throttle.

That's only from what I've read. I never had any exhaust smell in my Sport(yeah, I know CO is odorless).

Thinking about buying a used 2014 Sport with 55,000 miles on it. I'll probably send it over to my mechanic to take a looksie before purchasing. Wanted to find out what your checklist would include that the mechanic should pay particular attention to and/or specific issues this model may have at this mileage to double check prior to purchase.

Thinking about buying a used 2014 Sport with 55,000 miles on it. I'll probably send it over to my mechanic to take a looksie before purchasing. Wanted to find out what your checklist would include that the mechanic should pay particular attention to and/or specific issues this model may have at this mileage to double check prior to purchase.
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature. You may also want to check out the link in post #3.

Peter

Back