Questions about buying used explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about buying used explorer

jskingry

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
So I have been gone a while, replaced the old explorer with a 4runner a few years back. Anyway I am looking to buy an explorer again and had a few questions regarding a the newer models.

One I have been looking at is a 2006 XLT with 4.6 V8, Leather Seats, and more. It is low mileage and in very good condition! My questions are:

Is the 4.6l a reliable engine? I mean really reliable, and does it have any inherent issues that need to be addressed on a regular basis? My old explorer was a 95 with the old 4.0 push rod engine, that beast is still running today with over 250,000 miles on it! Are these newer models good like the old ones.

Is there anything/year/model I need to avoid?

Hey thanks for the help!

i would avoid all 06. just me too many radiator problems. spark plugs that dont come out. crappy injectors that break and hold open. just my 2 cents.

but depending on the miles on it, it probably went through all the issues already.

as for engine wise, its good. 4.6l is a very good v8.

they do have quirks, i woudnt use anything but a motorcraft filter and do maintenance, vgts are a ***** from crappy filters.

The 4.6 V8 is a good engine and seemingly more fuel efficient than the 4.0 V6.

The V8 has a very long spark plug where the outer shell is made in two parts that can separate due to a buildup of carbon below the threads causing a high force removal. There are a few threads dealing with this. I changed my son's plugs at 96,000 miles and they came out easily and were replaced by one piece Champions (but at $20 each) that work very well. No need to follow the TSB instructions, but I had purchased everything for insurance. The OEM plug has a 9/16" hex, so needs a special socket.

The 6R60 trans in the V8 is very strong, but the programming of the PCM/TCM was not great on earlier models giving shifting smoothness issues. A TSB identifies the latest software that will fix the problem with a "flash" update by a dealer. Threads are here to help.

The exhaust manifolds may leak causing noise and poor performance and poor fuel mileage. The fix is new manifold and studs that can be quite expensive. Threads here for this.

Wheel bearings are prone to failure. Threads on this too.

My son loves his 2007 Explorer EB V8 and is glad he bought it.

Good luck.

Back