BW4404 vs BW4405 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BW4404 vs BW4405

Cheg

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 97' Ford Explorer 4WD 4L EFI SOHC 6cyl Eddie Bauer edition.

I'm pretty sure that I have a faulty transfer case, and Im looking at a new one.

I saw both the BW4404 and BW4405 listed as being for the 97' Explorer, but I think the 4404 was AWD while the 4405 was 4WD.

I am just looking for a little confirmation of which of the two would be the correct part, before I spend $700 on a new one.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4404 is AWD
PS: google is your friend

4404 is AWD
PS: google is your friend

Yes, Google is my friend. That is why if you read my post I already said that I thought the 4404 was for AWD, that I just needed confirmation, and I take by your ass-backwards reply that that is correct.

Wasn't tryin to be a wiseazz, apparently I succeeded. I am better than I thought!
Yes, Cheg, You were indeed correct that the BW4404 is an AWD unit, and you need to get a BW4405. Might I try to redeem myself by asking you to look for a transfercase here ---> WWW.car-part.com . You will most likely find one cheaper

Hey guys,

I have a 97' Ford Explorer 4WD 4L EFI SOHC 6cyl Eddie Bauer edition.

I'm pretty sure that I have a faulty transfer case, and Im looking at a new one.

I saw both the BW4404 and BW4405 listed as being for the 97' Explorer, but I think the 4404 was AWD while the 4405 was 4WD.

I am just looking for a little confirmation of which of the two would be the correct part, before I spend $700 on a new one.

Thanks!

well in your post you say your """pretty sure""" its the t-case. 700 dollars i would want to be more confident that the diagnosis is correct....:rolleyes:

There are rebuild kits on ebay for the 4405. You didn't say what your problem was. I suggest jacking up the car safely so at least one wheel is free. Then check for side to side and up down play of the rear output shaft. There is a problem with the aluminum bearing housing becoming egg shape. I pressed in some pieces of beer can to take up the slack. That seems to have worked for years.

Back