can 02 cause rough idle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can 02 cause rough idle?

tawd77

Reaction score
City, State
kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a CEL saying the drivers side O2 sensor is shot. The truck idles crappy intermittantly, and it sometimes has alot of hesitation when accellerating. Could this be caused by the O2 sensor? Thanks

Short answer - Yes

Long answer -The O2 Sensors provide the feedback to the Power Control Module (PCM) of how efficiently the engine is running. Depending on how much O2 (Oxygen) is present in the exhaust before the cat (catylytic converter); the PCM adjusts the air/fuel ratio. For the sensors after the cat, the signals are used for the catalyst monitor system (CMS).

When the O2 sensor is broken the PCM goes into a open loop fuel control mode that should get you home but is not responsive across the broad range of driving conditions.

My car is a 91 with only one O2 sensor which I just changed this a.m. If you provide the code the more newer model folks can help. Is the vehicle in question the 92 in your avatar?

No, Its a 97 SOHC 4.0 - code 0153 and it idles really ruff sometimes, and smooth as can be at other times... Anyone know?

Back