Can Ball joints be replaced w/o the whole control arm on 95+? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can Ball joints be replaced w/o the whole control arm on 95+?

cantspell

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
Hi there, one or possbily both of my front left ball joints is squeeking like crazy, it stops a little when the car is left in a warm garage, I guess it's a possibility that it might go away in a free days if there's moisture in there, but it's sort of getting worse, soooo, i'd like to get them changed. Can you replace just the balljoint without the control arm? I'm thinking it's the lower balljoint, as it's a little loose. And what's the approx cost for this piece?
Thanks!
Matt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nope the ball joint and upper control arm are all one piece you have to replace them together. Are you sure its the balljoints? generally they dont squeak.

What are you doing specifically when it squeeks?

If it squeaks when turning and when bouncing the truck it's probably the balljoint.

The control arms does not have to be replaced with the lower balljoint, it is simply pressed in. But for the uppers, you have to replace the entire arm.

it squeeks when i hit bigger bumps and turn, it's the balljoints for sure, actully, it's the lower one at that, it's also a little loose, so i don't mind replacing it, any idea how much it is?

a shop quoted me 300 to do my lower ball joints when i took it in for an alignment. if you rent a ball joint press and have some basic tools you could get it done in easily 3-4 hours its not bad. Though if you lower ones are worn i bet your upper ones will be going pretty soon and it would be worthwhile to replace them as well. I did all my balljoints in 12 hours.... but i didnt have all the right tools i had to run out to a tool rental place a couple of times to get the right pickle fork. But now i have my own set of pickleforks and I know what im doing so i could probably get them all done in 6 hours or so.

Originally posted by cantspell
it squeeks when i hit bigger bumps and turn, it's the balljoints for sure, actully, it's the lower one at that, it's also a little loose, so i don't mind replacing it, any idea how much it is?

I just had the same problem with a lower ball joint. Check out this link for more symptoms:Dead Link Removed

For some unknown reason, the ball joint just froze up!

It cost $170 (parts, labor and tax)

I have the same problem. took mine to the ford dealer and they told me I had to get the whole control arm assembly since it was a sealed system. He looked it up and $196 for the whole control arm and balljoint assy. I just did what everybody else did and spray the crap out of them with some WD-40. I've been driving around for about a month now and it hasn't sqeaked yet. I would suggest spraying the ball joints especially the top one if you don't want to fork out the money yet.

generally the symptom of a bad ball joint is is popping noise when driving over and bumps and such. Im not quite sure how you can spray it with wd40 and make the squeaking stop since the balljoint is sealed in a boot. also upper balljoints arent 196 a piece. i think i paid about 75 dollars a piece for my upper balljoints.

Sorry 196 is what they quoted me on the lower ball joint and control arm. Mine never popped they just squeaked like hell when I went over bumps and turned the steering wheel. I guess the WD-40 penetrates the boot and makes it stop, all I know is it worked for me. I wanted to get that grease needle and throw some grease in there, but I just haven't gotten around to getting the part yet

my ball joints went bad as well

well,my X is in the right this minute getting both upper and lower Ball joints done on the drivers side.
I had the shop make sure they got them with greasable fittings !!,they made sure that the Moog Ball joints does in fact come with grease fittings.

they are pricy ? the one with the arms is $175.
and the one without is $79.,$150. in labor,ouch...
and $60. for an alignment,I drove for a few weeks as well,and the tight steering and squeeks,were killing me.

do you have to get an alignment after replacing the ball joints?

Re: my ball joints went bad as well

Originally posted by William Schumacher
. . .they are pricy ? the one with the arms is $175.
and the one without is $79.,$150. in labor,ouch...
and $60. for an alignment,I drove for a few weeks as well,and the tight steering and squeeks,were killing me.

Bill - You should see if you can get them yourself and then pay the shop to put them in. Napa has the upper control arm/ball joints for $130 and the lower ball joints for $30. You could save almost $200 if you brought him the parts. Most mechanics though don't like doing this, so unless you are on good terms with him he probably own't. Just realize that he is making money off the same parts you could go down and buy as well as the labor to put them in. It would be a lot better if he were willing to sell them for the same price that any consumer could go down and buy them for.

I know what your saying,he said I can go ahead and get the parts,but,by the time I looked for them and got back to the shop {this was my only day off,including the weekend},it would have been too late.
but at least I know next time.

the moog B/Joint is nice,has the greese fittings upper and lower.something Ford should have done ?

any way to grease the other side ?,if I get a greese needle,and just inject into the boot?,would that give me some more time on the Ford B/ Joint

Back