can I convert to factory towing wiring harness? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can I convert to factory towing wiring harness?

saxon

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 & '93 EB, 4WD, 4-door
drive a '91 EB 4WD w/o the tow package but with the optional extra trans. cooler. Recently bought a '93 EB 4Wd parts car with the tow package (extra trans. cooler, LSD rear end, rear bumper w/ trailer hook points, and breaker style trailer light receptacle).

I've already swapped the rear bumpers and I will swap the rear ends in a few weeks. I tried swapping the wire harness for the rear bumper area and the connectors are not the same where the bumper harness connects to the main wire harness (just below the driver's taillight).

I've read that the factory trailer wire connector has breakers so that if you submerge your trailer you throw a breaker and don't blow a fuse. Where are the breakers and how much of the '93 wire harness do I need to pull to do this? Not sure its worth it if I have to gut the whole cab to swap the wiring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when you swap rear ends make sure the gear ratio matches your explorer front axle, otherwise its not a good thing, i know from experiece the drive shaft dosent like that at all. my rear was 4.10 and front was 3.55 no both are 4.10

Hmmm,.... I know what the LSD rear ratio is; its the highway one: 3.73. I forget what the front end ratio of the X that I'm keeping (the '91) is.

I was thinking about leaving off the front driveshaft. I have been told that this can save between 1 and 3 mpg.

According to this guy, however, that's completely wrong but also according to that post it would not matter what ratio the front and rear drives were as long as I was not using 4WD because the front drive shaft is not turning.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=378207&postcount=2

I can say that I will not be using 4WD 99.99% of the time. This X will only be used to tow a small trailer w/ 2 GP bikes up and down the west coast during the spring summer and fall.

yea that true as long as you dont use 4x4, i assuned u whould want to though. As long as you stay in 2x4 your fine, as i did for a long time

i also thought all eb's had the towing package both mine have the connecter but one has a accual factory class three hitch insted of the bumper

Back