Can I go wider than stock tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I go wider than stock tires?

I've got a 97 explorer. I'm getting ready to buy some new tires for it (at Fords expence). Right now I've got the 235/75/R15 Firestones on the stock 7 inch wheels, but I would like to replace the tires with something a little wider. What size of tire would be a little wider than a 234/75/R15, but still have the same outside diameter? I don't want my speedometer to be way off. Any information would be great. Thanks.

You could search on the TireRack.com site to see if they have anything a little wider than your 235/75/15, if you want to stay metric.

Or you could go just a little bigger and wider without any mods and have a guaranty fit, 30" x 9.5 x 15 tire. The increase in diameter is 1" overall or 0.5" in height.

The 30" tires are readily available and are made by many manufacturers so the prices are relatively inexpensive. Just some price comparison below. You could probably get less expensive tires from a less well known manufacturer.

Pirelli Scorpion AT - $65
Yokohama AT Plus II - $75
BFG AT KO - $111

How much will my speedometer be off with a tire that is 1" larger in Dia?

If you do decide to go taller as well as wider, a 32x10.5 fits nicely. You might have to cut a piece of plastic in the front wheel wells. That will take another 5 minutes and no one can tell unless you point it out to them. You can fix the inacurrate speedometer with a $9.00 speedometer gear and 10 minute of your time. You could also go with a 31x10.5" tire and probably not rub at all. Do a search for "97 Sport, largest tires that will fit". and you will find an in depth discussion of tires.

Back