Can I Install Automatic Climate Control? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I Install Automatic Climate Control?

exploration1997

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT with the knob climate control. I found out that automatic climate control was an option on these, and I was wondering how card is it to change the climate control to automatic? Also, is my current knob system electronic or mechnincal? And if it's electric, does the unit use the same plug as the automatic unit? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It would be a lot cheaper and easier to get an EATC truck if you really want it. There is nothing operational/easily swappable from one system that is common to the other.

Although I bow to, and respect your vast knowledge and extremely impressive post count I'm afraid I have to disagree with you Joe. The EATC mod is not really that hard to do at all. I've done it to my 99 Mountie and it works great. Exploration, if you can come up with the parts from a donor truck of the same year it is almost, with some exceptions a part for part swap. I don't mean to make it sound over simplified as there is some wiring involved but someone with moderate skills can tackle this. There is a write up for this mod. It's for a ranger but with the exception of 3 wires it's exactly the same for our ex's. If you're interested I can get you the link to that write up. Total cost of parts at the u pull it = $50.00 The manual system is mechanical, and no the plugs don't match so when collecting parts you'll need the plugs too.

Then I'll do it too... I've always read that it was not cost prohibitive to tackle, but that might be for the 3rd gen?

Post count means nothing to me. I wish we didn't count them at all...

In that case, I now bow only to your vast knowledge and many informative posts. lol On a serious note, the hardest part of the whole swap was fitting my hands up over the heater plenum box to swap the blend door actuator. Everything else was just wire and go. Here is the link to the write up. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-14 Again this is for a ranger, but with minor modifications it works on our trucks. I just picked different jy's until I had all the parts. I'm pretty sure the total cost was around $50 for everything. Any questions I'd be happy to help.

Probably one of the most overrated features a car can have.
I have had several Fords with and without EATC and I use the EATC the same way I would a turn knob or slide style. I set my own temp, my own fan speed and my own direction and use a window to keep fresh are flowing.

I do prefer the high line version of most automobles so EATC is just something that comes along with that. I do like the rear fan off button and the fan speed control on the steering wheel.
Heated Seats>EATC.

Probably one of the most overrated features a car can have.
I have had several Fords with and without EATC and I use the EATC the same way I would a turn knob or slide style. I set my own temp, my own fan speed and my own direction and use a window to keep fresh are flowing.

I do prefer the high line version of most automobles so EATC is just something that comes along with that. I do like the rear fan off button and the fan speed control on the steering wheel.
Heated Seats>EATC.

I agree. I've owned 4 vehicles that came with automatic climate control (including my current EB) and I've always hated it. I'd much rather just have the manual HVAC controls. i do like having the fan speed control on the steering wheel though. i feel the same way about "moon roofs". after the novelty wears off you forget it's there and never use it. and they always eventually leak.

Thanks everyone! I had a feeling it was a cable, but I just wanted to make sure and get specs 4 model years.

It's mechanical, but not cable actuated. The motor speed and temp selector are electrical and the mode switch is vacuum operated.

Back