SmokeGrinder

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Uber Of All Possible Doom
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer 4X4
Need to do an oil change on the X

I still have one big bottle of Mobil 1 fully Synthetic 0W-40 left.
I have just got another bottle of Mobil 1 fully Synthetic 0W-40 but it says it has this new 'SuperSyn' technology.... Are these 2 Oils ok to mix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"New" words on the package = more money at the register ...thats all.

... Well i changed it, the old oil came out clear! I was suprised. its been in there for about 5 - 6 K miles....

The color of oil has more to do with being heated than being "dirty." When people say, "Look how dirty that oil is," just becasue it is dark, they demosntrate that they don't really understand what happens with that oil. Now, it may actually BE dirty - but I'd doubt it, that is unless their filter is crud, or their engine has major wear issues. Mostly oil gets contaminated by acids that build up from the condensation in the engine when it cools, and the by-products of combustion escaping past the rings. If you "heat up" very dark oil, it often comes back to a near clear color.

BTW, do a search for synthetics and filter use on the board. I have written a couple articles about that in response to a couple of threads.

Well done T, about time you changed that chip oil!
Smoked and grinded like a coffee bean machine when I followed you up the Tarmac!
Just kidding!
Keep up the good work!

Back