Which coolant? can I mix brands? 2008 4.6L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which coolant? can I mix brands? 2008 4.6L

pjw73nh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 LTD
OK, I've looked at a lot of threads and didn't find one to cover my question(s).

2008 4.6 LTD. 67K. I bought it used with 63k on it. According to OASIS it has had all scheduled Maintenance done up to 60k. All at the same dealer in White Plains NY. I don't drive the car very often as I use it mostly for towing my trailer.

I have no heating cooling symptoms or leaks (that I can find). Engine temp behavior appears normal (observed via OBDII ScanGauge). Heats steadily up to about 195 and maintains. I do have the passenger side exhaust leak when cold. But that's for another thread.

I noticed yesterday that the overflow coolant reservoir was very low. About 2-3 inches below the "hot" line. The coolant looked "brown" or "brownish". There did not appear to be any "schmutz" or "crud" lining the tank. It was rather clean. I was more concerned with the level than the color.

I looked today with the engine stone cold. No coolant in the tank. Before I go too far into a diagnostic run, I want to fill the overflow to the proper level with coolant. I have found several threads that seem to go both ways re coolant. Ford Gold, Prestone, Zerex...... I don't know hat I have in there now. What is the best way to go here? Get the Ford Gold? Perhaps one of the others? I saw a thread here where a tech product manager of Prestone chimed in and gave his two cents. Post #10.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294049&highlight=coolant

Any problems with mixing brands? I am used to the "old days" Just mix 50/50 and be done with it. I think these days are gone.....

Thanks.

P.../NH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is just my opinion. My '06, which I bought in '08, probably came with the Ford gold stuff, but when I replace the coolant, I replaced it with the green stuff. I've used the green ever since and had no problems. I don't know about mixing coolants, but I do know that Xerex does make a Ford gold equal if you want to go that direction. Do you plan on flushing the coolant this year? Sounds like it might be time if it hasn't been done yet. Just drain it, and fill it with whatever you want.

The manual says: "The level of coolant should be maintained at the “FULL COLD” level in the coolant reservoir."
So shouldn't be a problem if level doesn't reach "FULL HOT".
Since I've a new radiator installed and a 16 psi rad cap, the level neither reaches "COLD FILL" than "HOT FILL". It's always somewhere between both levels.

If you flush it... Be sure to get at least 2 gallons of "pure" coolant and not the 50/50 stuff as when you drain the coolant there will still be some flush water in the system which would otherwise dilute whatever you add further.

Calculate 50% of the capacity of the cooling system and then add that much of the pure coolant.... then switch to something closer to a 50/50 mix to top it off.

I had to go a little higher than 50% concentration to accommodate Minnesota winters.

You will have to perform cpr (squeezing) on the top coolant hose to burp the air out of the system when you start the motor after initial fill. Then recheck coolant level.

You'll need a good number of empty jugs to collect the old coolant to take it to your local hazardous waste site.

When I did mine I took out the thermostat, and using a shop vac on the upper rad hose to blow out just about all the old fluid out of there.

Here in Vancouver, I like to keep mine at a 40% antifreeze 60% water solution. Remember, the more water the better the heat transfer. If you lived in Brazil you'd want pure water with corrosion additives.

Of course, if you have extremely cold winters with no block heater, then you have no choice but use more antifreeze.

Back