• Register Today It's free!

Can I rebuild a 700r4?

xmodster3o3

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Ca, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
Hey guys, I heard about the 700R4 adapter plate for my X. I wanted this mod so bad when my A4LD went out, but I just didnt have the money to do so. Well talking to a guy at work he says he would give me his 700r4 from his 88 chevy camaro, 2.8 v6 I think.
My question is is this the right tranny to hook up to the adapter, and how hard would it be to rebuilt it my self? I need a new project to do and I never did a tranny rebuild before so I really want to learn.
I Know very lilttle about transmissions as of now. What kind of tranny supplies and tools will I need to do the rebuild?
So far all I found was this book on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ory=6760&item=7926659788&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Thanks a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transmission rebuilds are within the realm of the do it yourselfer. I wouldn't pick a trannie rebuild as a project if you have trouble replacing spark plugs. They DO require some special tools, a good guidebook and patience and close attention to detail. Try reading the "My A4LD Rebuild Diary" to see the rebuild of your A4LD... that will give you a flavor of what is involved. I have never rebuilt a 700R4 but it is on my list, after the FORD 5R series (5R55E, N and W) and the FORD 4R70W. Auto trannies are cousins under the skin.

I do consider my self a do-it-yourselfer. No trouble with the spark plugs. I got all the time it takes, till my rebuilt a4ld to go out again. I'm planning on taking my time with this, and get only the best parts out there. By the way whats a good kit to get. I have no idea the shape of this tranny, it shouldn't be all that bad, All I know is that it only had first gear when it went out. My a4ld had none.

I cannot provide any guidance on the 700R4 at this time. I have rebuilt FORD and Chrysler trannies only. Not sure what special tools you might need or what upgrades you might want to incorporate. Why not do your A4LD right? yourself?

My A4LD was just rebuilt by my uncle so it has some time before I even think about a rebuild for it. Plus I hear that the 700r4 is a really good tranny if built right. Plus I'm getting the 700R4 for free and in need of a new project. :thumbsup:

Whoa Lucky you.... maybe you can be the DIY poster child for the 700R4 ! Find a good book for it (ATSG is "ok") and do your homework. I think you are more or less gonna be "on your own" on this one, for now. Find me a 700R4 and I'll build it with ya ! <g>

I used to own a Blazer and belong to a GM Forum, www.s-seriesforum.com, take a trip over there and do some research on it. From what I hear its not to easy to do correctly. Plus the one your speaking of is from a 60* block, I'm not sure what the engines are in our Explorers but there was a 60* 700r4 and a 90* 700r4, the 90* came with the 4.3, 350's ect. Hope this helps a bit. It is a quite a good tranny tho.

FYI - you would need the 60* tranny to make the conversion. The one from the 2.8 would be the correct version to begin with - but with the modifications that were applied to the heavier duty V8 versions (especially the Corvette version). Becasue the bellhousings are not removable on the 700R4, you need to start with the right one.

I'm sure I got the right tranny. It was funny how I got it, I was telling a guy at work about the adapter, and how I can hook up a 700R4 to my X. He just tells me "I got one if you want it". I say yeah but it has to be a certain one from a 2.8 engine. He's said "yeah I took it off my 88 camaro V6".
I asked him how much he wanted for it, and he gave me the fair price of free.
Thanks for the links glfredrick they look like they can really help.

what is the adapter called to allow a 700r4 to fit in a explorer, I read your post and was very interested in doing the exact samething, I have a 92 explorer whose tranny is crapping out and have a 700r4 from a chevy caprice 9c1, any info would be great. thanks.

The one from a chevy caprice 9c1 is a cop car motor/trans. 90* bellhousing.

Back