Can I replace the rear brake cylinder without removing shoes? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I replace the rear brake cylinder without removing shoes?

joshhemming

Reaction score
City, State
El Paso
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Aerostar 2wd 3.0L
My right rear brake cylinder is leaking. I've seen some YouTube videos where they were able to (carefully) remove the cylinder on some non-Aerostars by just removing the wheel, drum and upper spring. Anyone know if there's enough clearance in the Aerostar brake assembly to pull the cylinder without taking the rest of the springs and shoes off?

Also, is the nut which secures the brake line to the back of the cylinder a Metric or an SAE? I don't have any of those special line wrenches and want to buy the right type.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Husky flare nut wrench set is $19.97 at home depot for a 6 pc set that is sae and mm on each wrench. I have been working on the front brakes and master cylinder, all the flare nuts have been 7/16 so far.

Edit I did confirm the rear line is 7/16 flare nut.

Husky flare nut wrench set is $19.97 at home depot for a 6 pc set that is sae and mm on each wrench. I have been working on the front brakes and master cylinder, all the flare nuts have been 7/16 so far.

Edit I did confirm the rear line is 7/16 flare nut.

Thanks....I'll accept that as gospel.

my only thought is why not replace the shoes while its apart?btw if you change the shoes take a pic first so you know where everything goes and only do one side at a time so you can use the other side for reference.be sure to note if the shoe with the shorter friction material is on front or back.

While monster meat installing this week can I just slip in a set of dice in the front with out bleeding and takeing apart the brakes. The tire job alone is going to wear me out. I used the tire converter going from 215 70 14 to 235 75 15 and the 3:73 rear I'm going to drop to a 3:33 . I'm getting 10/14 mpg on a good day so this might give me 15 mpg.

Back