Do I need to replace the Master Brake Cylinder? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I need to replace the Master Brake Cylinder?

jabramson

Reaction score
City, State
Coconut Creek, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
The other day, the brake warning light started to briefly come on. Today I checked my fluid and it is a bit low so I assume the light is coming on when I turn corners and brake because it is so low and the sensor is letting me know it. The brakes seem to be working well in any case.

The reason I ask about replacing the master brake cylinder is because it appears I have a slow leak of fluid in the rear of it along the booster. There is a little bit of what appears to be fluid from the master brake cylinder as it is a little wet and grimy from dirt and grease right below the brake cylinder along the booster. That combined with the low fluid and no other locations showing fluid loss seems to be the leaky culprit.

Because of the fluid leak, does the whole master brake cylinder need replacing or is there a seal that can be purchased to fix this.

Thank you in advance for your help.

...your diagnosis sounds correct...you could buy a kit but i have found replacing the unit is a better warranty for the long term and the part...;)
...and btw, welcome here...:D

yes,the seals in your master cylinder are going bad. the repair kits price wise are no longer an option. it's easier and more reliable to just replace the master cylinder.

Thank you for the replies. The Master Cylinder was only about $120 or so so it just made more sense as you guys said to replace it.

Back