Can I run a mini spool in an 8.8 LS carrier or do I need an open carrier? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I run a mini spool in an 8.8 LS carrier or do I need an open carrier?

BMRisko

Reaction score
City, State
Brentwood, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Jeep ZJ
I am in the process of swapping in an 8.8 to my ZJ and it has the LS carrier. In order to run a mini spool, do I need to swap in an open carrier? I have heard the LS carrier is weaker, but don't know if that is the reason as to why most are using open carriers to house the mini spools. Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another JUer I see.
I was going to put a mini spool in mine, but found out it won't work on a LS carrier because of the gap in the carrier where the clutches go. I did not want to swap in another carrier(stock carriers are pretty weak, the LS carrier even more so) so I am just going to Lincoln lock it.
Another cheap locking option is to rebuild the LS and change the order of the disks and clutches and add another friction disk in there.
Dead Link Removed

Hi,
I have a question. What would be the advantage of using a minispool as opposed to a locker, like the Power tracs no-slip, or even a Detroit locker? Price?

OH! almost forgot. Welcome to the site. :)

What is the difference between a spool and a mini-spool?

Ryan

Originally posted by Ray Lobato
Hi,
I have a question. What would be the advantage of using a minispool as opposed to a locker, like the Power tracs no-slip, or even a Detroit locker? Price?

OH! almost forgot. Welcome to the site. :)

Advantage: Price and easy install. The mini spool replaces the spider gears like a Lock Right. The only disadvantage I see is if you use the stock carrier, that'll be your weekest point. There are upgraded carriers out there but then you are defeating the purpose of the mini spool. That's where a full spool comes in. The full spool replaces the carrier. Four Wheeler did a comparision of the Detroit Locker and spool. To be honest, there wasn't much different because they both acted the same on the street. With the spool one expects the tires to chirp around corners. The spool will never give you the "let go" or "missed tooth" feeling like the detroit does. Doesn't hurt the gears but feels funny and has a loud bang. The spool is a fraction of the cost of the detroit. After that article I almost swapped to a spool and sell my detroit but would come out to be the same anyway. The detroit is as strong as an Ox and is killer off-road. One just have to get used to the mannors on the street. If you have an automatic transmission, you won't feel half the problems.

Back