Can I tow my 29' Camper with 2009 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I tow my 29' Camper with 2009 Explorer

Mine has the 3.73 gears with the 4.0 v6. Factory tow package set up. Eddie Bauer Edition.

Gotcha. Yes, you will be pushing the ratings for sure at best and depending on where you are getting your curb weights, you might even be overloaded. Even more reason to get a weigh. Also, you first estimated 800lbs of gear and passengers in the Ex but then changed to 500lbs. That's quite a difference but if you can pull it off, it would be prudent. By my quick math, that 300lb difference is the difference between pushing the limits and being overloaded.

Tow rating:
5200lbs max --- 800lbs gear and passengers in the Ex (less 150lb driver) = 4550lbs
Trailer weight 5000lbs so you'd be overloaded by 450lbs but if you only have 500lbs of gear and passengers then you'd still be overloaded but by only 150lbs.

GCWR:
10k lbs rated --- 5000lbs (trailer) + 4455 (Ex curb weight) + 500lbs (gear and passengers) = 9955lbs total (45lbs under). From what I pulled off the inter webs, 4455 lb curb weight applies to 2wd 5-passenger models. The lightest 4x4 model is 4628 lbs. If you use that weight, then you're overloaded by 128 lbs.

Also have to consider wheelbase. Rule of thumb is 110" of wheelbase for 20' trailer and add 4" of wheelbase for every foot on the trailer. So for your 29' trailer, you'd want 146" of wheelbase and the Ex is about 32" shy. Keep in mind there are no physics involved here, i.e. road conditions, wind, truckers passing you, etc. I'm just doing the math. Good call on adding sway control.

Also, make sure your draw bar, hitch ball and wdh are all rated appropriately.

I personally would not tow what you are trying to tow with an Ex just on the wheelbase issue alone but as another poster mentioned, you already have the truck and trailer so just have to pay extra special attention to maintenance, proper installation of towing gear, get a weigh (try to shed even more weight if possible) and use common sense when on the road. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is how you can find the weight of your truck without going to a scale:

On the white sticker on the driver door jamb, you'll find GVW, that is a maximum weight of your truck with passenger, cargo, and tongue weight.

On mine it reads 6280 lbs, and that is a generic sticker for all 4x4, v8 with tow package explorers from that year.

Then on the yellow sticker, read the max weight of the pass and cargo.

On mine it reads 1177 lbs and that is SPECIFIC to your rig taking into account the actual options installed on yours.

From that I deduct, that my empty Ford weighs about 5103 lbs

I use this method to help validate the weights at the scales (sometimes scales are off especially for smaller rigs). You can also use this method to estimate tongue weight (which you will need to decide which wdh to purchase) if you don't have time to take multiple weights at the station.

Hey all. I recently bought a 2009 Explorer Eddie Bauer V6 4x4 with factory tow package. Rating says 5200 lbs but have seen some mixed reviews on websites regarding the towing abilities. I have a 29' camper ( including the length of the hitch on trailer ) and it weighs 4600lb dry axle weight. Cargo will be about 400 lbs so call it 5000lbs. Truck will have about 800lb of cargo and people inside. Am I ok to tow with this? Should all be within ratings but have heard bad things from some on wheelbase and center of gravity. I want to add that I have a weight distribution hitch, anti sway bars on hitch and brake controller. ( Trailer of course has electric brakes )
Thanks in advance guys for any help and advice you can give.

I've never seen anybody use "dry axle weight", but if it's 4600 lbs "dry axle weight" you also need to include some estimate for "dry tongue weight", which should be at least 10%+ or about 500 lbs. So your dry trailer weight is actually about 5100 lbs.

I've also never seen anyone use a fluid/cargo weight as low as 400 lbs. 600 lbs is the absolute minimum, which accounts for dealer/factory installed options (like LP tanks, battery, furnace, etc) as well as some fresh water in the water heater, plus your own gear, food, etc. Usually want 800, but 600 is an OK minimum. But even if we use your 400 lbs, that's 5500 lbs which is over your MAX tow limit already.

From a GCVWR standpoint, you show 4455 curb weight. I highly doubt your actual truck is that light. My loaded Mounty is 5050 empty. But even if we use 4450:
5500 (trailer) + 4450 (truck) + 500 (people & stuff in truck) = 10,450, which is 450 over your combined limit.

And I can almost guarantee 2 of those numbers will actually be higher.

For reference, my 27' hybrid is 5200 lbs loaded and I usually run the Mounty around 5600 lbs loaded. That's 10,800 with the V8-6sp powertrain (12,000 combined rating). It tows it just fine, but I would not want to go much more, and I would leave some stuff at home if I were going thru any significant hills.

In reality, I think you will have nearly the same loaded weight as my rig, with much less capability from the V6 and 5-speed driveline. I recommend you scale back the trailer, or get more truck.

I've never seen anybody use "dry axle weight", but if it's 4600 lbs "dry axle weight" you also need to include some estimate for "dry tongue weight", which should be at least 10%+ or about 500 lbs. So your dry trailer weight is actually about 5100 lbs.

I've also never seen anyone use a fluid/cargo weight as low as 400 lbs. 600 lbs is the absolute minimum, which accounts for dealer/factory installed options (like LP tanks, battery, furnace, etc) as well as some fresh water in the water heater, plus your own gear, food, etc. Usually want 800, but 600 is an OK minimum. But even if we use your 400 lbs, that's 5500 lbs which is over your MAX tow limit already.

From a GCVWR standpoint, you show 4455 curb weight. I highly doubt your actual truck is that light. My loaded Mounty is 5050 empty. But even if we use 4450:
5500 (trailer) + 4450 (truck) + 500 (people & stuff in truck) = 10,450, which is 450 over your combined limit.

For reference, my 27' hybrid is 5200 lbs loaded and I usually run the Mounty around 5600 lbs loaded. That's 10,800 with the V8-6sp powertrain (12,000 combined rating). It tows it just fine, but I would not want to go much more, and I would leave some stuff at home if I were going thru any significant hills.

In reality, I think you will have nearly the same loaded weight as my rig, with much less capability from the V6 and 5-speed driveline. I recommend you scale back the trailer, or get more truck.

I may have used the wrong term. But the weight of the camper as equiped per the yellow sticker is 4600. with empty lp tanks and dry holding tanks. 400lb cargo should be good for us as I don;'t travel with any iquids in the holding tanks. W travel light with the clothes and such and get groceries when we get there. so if its over 400 lbs it shouldn't be by much. Just got back from Luray. It towed fine. Def a load and it didn't like the steep grade up the mountain but still did it and was actually accelrating doing it. But the engine was def working hard. On flat ground it was just fine. I took it easy around 60mph and it towed smooth. Not gonna win any speed records but I was satisfied with its performance. ;)

Glad to hear it!
Check your driver-side door. Mine had a sticker which has an actual empty weight for my specific vehicle (or at least my vehicle-configuration). That's where I got my 5050lbs, and you might find a more accurate empty weight for your information. Then just weigh the loaded rig when you can.

It probably won't change your decision, but it could help you know how best to load things.

Happy camping!

In hindsight I would agree that larger truck or smaller camper would be better. However we just bought both. So gonna have to make do for a bit. Just have to take it easy on the truck. Lke I said though we just towed 3 hrs each way to Luray VA including up and over a steep mountain grade. While it was def a load. It handled the job surprisingly well. Thanks again fiir the input ;)

In hindsight I would agree that larger truck or smaller camper would be better. However we just bought both. So gonna have to make do for a bit. Just have to take it easy on the truck. Lke I said though we just towed 3 hrs each way to Luray VA including up and over a steep mountain grade. While it was def a load. It handled the job surprisingly well. Thanks again fiir the input ;)

I registered just to post in this thread. I was hoping to input before you pulled the trigger to save you some heartache that i myself have experienced. You will for sure be overloaded in this senario.

Plan to add 800-1500lbs of cargo depending on your family. Thats puts you at 5400lbs conservatively and more realistically closer to 6K. Most people who have towed anything of substance will not reccomend towing overloaded. I am not the weight police but it really sucks getting your truck/trailer combo and it not working out.

If its not too late, i would seriously consider either sizing up to an expedition or downsizing on the trailer. A 29' trailer is alot of tail for a short wheelbase like an explorer. I "attempted" to tow a 27' low profile travel trailer around 5000 lbs wet with a land rover discovery and had a bad experience even though i was within the supposed "limits."

Try to stick with something 80% or less of your truck capability and make sure you stay belove the payload. Thats the best advice i can give you

Which way did you take? 211 or Skyline?

Hi bob bmx. I took 211. Came from SOMD so went through Culpepper etc. You go there as well?

I live in Culpeper, just off 522.

You are completely nuts for even thinking about towing 5K with a 5K machine without having extensive towing experience. And anyone with experience would never tow a 25' trailer with an explorer. 2 reasons and they are less related to weight, so try sway control, the explorer simply does not have the width in relationship to the yaw that can be produced by a travel trailer. The other is center of gravity, The trailer is very close to being Higher than the towing rig. F-150/Expedition is more in the class to tow 5K safely, and with any lngivity for that matter. It is not all about ratings or Horsepower.

Can you? Sure! Is it an ideal combination? No. My 2006 EB V6 is overloaded with my wife and 3 kids, food, clothes, junk, and 17 foot single axle hybrid trailer. When my wife gets home from the store I will check the console for the results from the last camping trip when we went over the scales and weighed each axle as it was loaded.
The max tow rating is based on the basic model truck with only the required towing equipment and no additional options, and a single 150 pound person. No cargo. Officially every pound added to the truck in cargo people or optional equipment takes away a pound of towing capacity.
And I can tell you from experience that every camping trailer I ever weighed, was heavier than the driveway sticker by a couple hundred pounds empty. Some manufacturers don't include the weight of the required battery or propane tanks, awnings, AC on roof, etc

Follow up scale results from last camping trip:
Explorer was loaded with me,my wife, and three kids ages six through 12. Food and clothes in the explorer for a long weekend. Pulling a 17 foot hybrid travel trailer single axle containing Five bicycles, two or three arm loads of firewood, and two cases of beer. No water in any of the tanks.
Front axle weight 2,640 lbs rated for 2,960
Rear axle weight. 3,490 lbs rated for 3,400
Trailer axle weigh 3,260 lbs rated for 3,200
Total weight 9,380 lbs

Noticed that I was over my rear axle weight with a much smaller trailer and please check your set up at a scale.

Towing to the ratings

What is your empty numbers?
Generally speaking you want 10-25% of the gross trailer wt on the bumper (hitch). But the more you put on the back the lighter the front becomes. No problem for braking since the weight shifts forward as you brake but lateral control it is VERY important. In an explorer design I would not want to tow over 3-4K and even then not far. Get the right rig for the job. Lug nut count matters. Wheel base matters. Weight matters.
These darn ratings are more about advertising rather than safety or good judgement.

I would check your weights if I were you. You want to make sure you are not over loaded. I am sure if you got into an accident and it was determined that you were over loaded I would think you will have problems with your insurance coverage. You also need to consider that there are other people on the road and you need to put your safety, your families safety and the safety of everyone else into consideration. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed

Pawseyte we are saying the same thing. Just because on flat road no wind bunch of steel on a very low flatbed the rig will pull it and stop OK is far from being wise. These travel trailers are scary, everyone under estimates wind forces and center of gravity. And I don't think the braking on them is worth a darn even if the controller is set correctly. Just the way she mentioned the length of the trailer-- including the tongue shows she really does not understand the first thing. I personally on occasion have exceeded ratings but I am the one in the right lane doing 50-55 with one hand near the controller, and I have 25% tongue weight. Get enough truck.

A lot of things said on this thread and I will admit, I didn't read all the replies. But, I just wanted to tell you my experience. I have a 24ft TT, dry weight of 4436. Probably weighs in about 5k with pans and things. My 2006 EB 4.0 actually did OK with it in terms of stability. I had a weight dist hitch and sway bar, voyager brake controller. The problem was really two fold. First off, the power was pretty abyssmal. Accelerating took a long time. Stopping was OK because the trailer basically stopped itself. I always towed out of OD to keep the power train happier. I really like the Explorer, but after 8 or so camping trips (90 min radius tops on any) I just wasn't happy with the performance. Though stable enough, I felt like I was really working it and was an impediment to other drivers. I felt this way so much, that I bought me a 2003 Chevy Suburban to be the tow vehicle. It isn't a spring chicken, but still runs well. But with the extra wheel base, weight, and power - 5.3L V8 - the towing is vastly superior. I'll admit, the burb still struggles accelerating uphill on entrance ramps and such, but I just take it easy on her. But, it does feel a lot better.

Long story short, the Ex will do it. But, it'll be hard on it and a bigger vehicle will make you much happier. If I had a 29 footer, I would be looking for a 3/4 ton. My burb is 1/2 tn, but it is rated for 7,700. Pulling 5k with a gentle foot seems to work for me.

I still have the Explorer, it is paid for and worth keeping, but for the towing task, I've retired her.

Hey all. I recently bought a 2009 Explorer Eddie Bauer V6 4x4 with factory tow package. Rating says 5200 lbs but have seen some mixed reviews on websites regarding the towing abilities. I have a 29' camper ( including the length of the hitch on trailer ) and it weighs 4600lb dry axle weight. Cargo will be about 400 lbs so call it 5000lbs. Truck will have about 800lb of cargo and people inside. Am I ok to tow with this? Should all be within ratings but have heard bad things from some on wheelbase and center of gravity. I want to add that I have a weight distribution hitch, anti sway bars on hitch and brake controller. ( Trailer of course has electric brakes )
Thanks in advance guys for any help and advice you can give.
How did this work out for you?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back