Can I use an auto trans radiator/lower hose in a '93 4x4/5-speed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I use an auto trans radiator/lower hose in a '93 4x4/5-speed?

'93BajaSport

Reaction score
City, State
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer Sport
I bought a replacement radiator online and it turns out it is for an automatic Explorer, which has a downward-facing lower hose connection. I have a '93 sport 4x4 with a 5-speed with a hose connection that points straight toward teh rear of the vehicle. Shipping the new radiator back will cost at least as much as a new hose, so I have the question: Can I use the automatic radiator in my 5-speed truck if I also use the automatic-specific lower hose?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure they sent you the right radiator? The 1995+ ones have the lower connection at an angle, but any 1991-1994 I've seen at the wreckers have the lower connection come straight out (it hasn't mattered if it was auto or manual). As far as hoses go, as long as the hose isn't kinked, rubbing, or sitting where it's unprotected, it should be fine.

No, they didn't send me the right radiator; it's for an automatic. However, it looks just like the old one except for the lower outlet. I know it's far from authoritative, but the Autozone site has pictures and the lower outlet appears to be the only difference on the rads they display for a '93.

I was asking because I live 30mi from a parts store and would rather not make a 60mi round trip just to find out I bought a hose that wouldn't work.

Modifying parts to fit your vehicle is simply called, "Hot Rodding". Put the hose on it and run it till it dies.

Matt

Well I guess I just learned something...From what I've seen, the only difference has been that the auto rad has a trans cooler. Every rad I'd seen (I looked at a lot trying to find one at the u-pull, auto & manual) for the first gen X had the lower hose come straight out. I wonder why the lower hose would be different for the after market manual.

Modifying parts to fit your vehicle is simply called, "Hot Rodding". Put the hose on it and run it till it dies.

Which hose?

Well I guess I just learned something...From what I've seen, the only difference has been that the auto rad has a trans cooler. Every rad I'd seen (I looked at a lot trying to find one at the u-pull, auto & manual) for the first gen X had the lower hose come straight out. I wonder why the lower hose would be different for the after market manual.

Hopefully AZ will let me link some search results...

EDIT: Nope.

Here's the automatic

...and manual.

It's not that I didn't believe you, and I actually checked the AZ site too. My auto rad looks exactly the same as the ones shown, except my lower connection comes straight out, weird.

Just pick up some generic radiator hose that is the same size but longer, as long as it doesn't kink you shouldn't have any issues with it. You could also ask to see the hose for the auto-trans and see if it will a direct match.

You could also ask to see the hose for the auto-trans and see if it will a direct match.

It looks like that's what I'll have to do...

If it was their error and you received the wrong radiator, most places will let you ship it back and send you the correct one at their expense. You might want to check on this before installing, usually this is only good for new, uninstalled parts.

The radiators for the manual trannys are single core, and the ones for the automatics are usually double core, so it's considered an 'upgrade' to use a double core radiator on a manual tranny model. Usually you'd want to seek out one with the same straight-out lower connection, but the angle shouldn't matter much as long as the hose reaches, and fits snug without any kinks or stress on the hose. Going with the lower hose for the auto tranny model will probably let you fit it on there just fine.

Thanks everyone, I'll relay back what I end up getting to work.

Manual Radiators are also thinner than their Automatic counterpart.

And the Fan Shroud is also different. The Fan maybe different too. Due to the thinner radiator.

Ryan

Thanks everyone, I'll relay back what I end up getting to work.

The auto trans lower hose fits like a glove. I had to trim the fan shroud so it would clear the AC and PS pulleys because of the thicker core, but other than that, it works great. Dragged an empty 1500lb car trailer 800mi up to Boise, ID on Friday and pulled it 800mi back with the addition of a 3400lb Corvette on Saturday with no trouble. Felt a little underpowered at times, but I expect that after 234,000mi. Averaged 20mpg up, 15mpg back. :biggthump

Back